VMware Cloud Community
dlupisella
Contributor
Contributor

Server 2008 R2 64bit Standalone Converter 4.0.1 error

I have tried several things to get this to work but when I try to hot clone a server runing Windows Server 2008 R2 (64 bit obviously), I get an error saying that it has failed.

The error I get is:

FAILED: Unable to create a VSS snapshot of the source volume(s). Error code: 2147754754 (0x80042302).

In the Windows logs I see the following errors:

Event ID 8193: Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040154, Class not registered

Operation: Instantiating VSS server

Event ID 22: Volume Shadow Copy Service error: A critical component required by the Volume Shadow Copy service is not registered. This might happened if an error occurred during Windows setup or during installation of a Shadow Copy provider. The error returned from CoCreateInstance on class with CLSID {e579ab5f-1cc4-44b4-bed9-de0991ff0623} and Name IVssCoordinatorEx2 is [0x80040154, Class not registered].

Operation: Instantiating VSS server

I am running vCenter Converter Standalone v4.0.1 build 161434

Please help!!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

As far as I know no current Converter version can hotclone a 2008 R2 yet.

Try a Coldclone instead - via ghost/Acronis or whatever you prefer

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

dlupisella
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a VMware Standalone Converter Boot CD? If so, where can I download it? I've looked all over the place.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

don't you have a boot-CD with Acronis or Ghost ? - use that one for the imaging part.

Then try Converter 4.0.1 for the patching part

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
dlupisella
Contributor
Contributor

No, unfortunately I don't but thank you for the information. I decided to just reinstall the OS on a VM and install the needed software.

0 Kudos