VMware Horizon Community
HaM1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

PCoIP access from WAN

Dear all,

I have a problem regarding PCoIP and acces from WAN. No problem to connect to the connection server, but when trying to open the desktop, I'll be connected but the display ramins black. RDP is working well. I have created Firewall rules for this Desktop-VM on port 50002 TCP and UDP but still not working.

Does anybody has an Idea?

Best regards

Sebastian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mpryor
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Is it planned to tunnel the PCoIP packets? Or won'tit never be possible due to protocol restrictions?

Obviously I can't discuss features in future releases, but there's no restriction that stops us implementing tunnel support for PCoIP. VMware are committed to PCoIP as a primary protocol in View, priority has been given in the 4.0.0 release to the core protocol rather than the extras to bring it up to feature parity with View&RDP, but anything missing in this release is being looked at.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
mpryor
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Sebastian,

Please check the release notes for 4.0.0 - PCoIP does not currently have support for the built-in tunnel that ships as part of View so connections are made directly to the desktop. If you wish to access your desktop over the internet you'll need a VPN that can forward the UDP data.

Thanks,

Mike

HaM1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I expected this but I thought when openening PCoIP ports at the firewall for this special desktop, that he would be able to exchange the packets.

With a VPN it's possible, absolutely.

Is it planned to tunnel the PCoIP packets? Or won'tit never be possible due to protocol restrictions?

Regards

Sebastian

0 Kudos
mpryor
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Obviously I can't discuss features in future releases, but there's no restriction that stops us implementing tunnel support for PCoIP. VMware are committed to PCoIP as a primary protocol in View, priority has been given in the 4.0.0 release to the core protocol rather than the extras to bring it up to feature parity with View&RDP, but anything missing in this release is being looked at.

0 Kudos
HaM1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey Mike,

thank you very much for your information!!!

Sebastian

0 Kudos
acerbisvm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The problem in tunnelling UDP in HTTP is that HTTP is built on TCP that is a reliable protocol ( automatically handles retransmission ).

So there is a clash: you are layering a unreliable protocol (where reliability is handled by the application) on a reliable one (TCP), so you obviously can't do all the thing that PCoIP does with UDP (ignoring missing packets without requesting, interpolate them...) because there is a FORCED retransmission.

The big advantage also of Web portal (like those used ICA / RDP ) is that is obiquitous (no added complexity and http is well estabislhed protocol) and also can work through http proxies (present in most enterprises).

So I really want to see what are vmware next moves from an implementation point, maybe

- losing some agility in pcoip traffic handling using TCP/http when used through web

- provide some "gateway" applet downloadable from web portal that tunnels in some way (but this will not work with proxies )

0 Kudos
SWCS833
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I understand that VMWare needed to get the product out there as soon as possible, but I hope that this functionality is put to the top of the list for future releases. This is one of the key features of VMWare View, not having to use VPN to access a desktop. I also hope that future releases are not so far apart.

0 Kudos
acerbisvm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Agreed that Vmware was in a rush - anyway I would appreciate a clear roadmap published from vmware regarding View (what to expect).

Of course RDP/HTTP access is still available through Web Portal, anyway PCoIP isn't there.

And my doubt is in which way they will handle it in the future, due to the protocol being layered on UDP.

0 Kudos
srynoname
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can't use pcoip over wan, do i understand this right? or are there just special conditions where i can't use it? shouldn't i be able to just open the corresponding ports?

0 Kudos
acerbisvm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

you can't use it through web portal ( HTTP based ).

Of course you can use it in a WAN if you can have a full IP/UDP connectivity from the client to the VM.

0 Kudos
Floss
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes this is true i have blogged about please see below

http://virtualy-anything.blogspot.com/2010/02/vmware-view-40-ssl-web-access.html

Vmware need to address this i think....

0 Kudos