VMware Communities
PatrickSteranka
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How can I fix USB Arbitration won't start Error 31: A device is not functioning

Any ideas how to fix or troubleshoot this error.

I read following thread but wasn't able to post to the thread (because it was LOCKED).

VMWare Communities Thread 1383098

I purchased a new Win7 box, and installed VMWare Workstation 7 on it. It works great EXCEPT that I can't access USB devices. When the VM starts I get an error saying:

Host USB device connections disabled.

The connection to the VMware USB Arbitration Service was unsuccessful. Please check the status of this service in the Microsoft Management Console.

I've looked at the log in C:\Windows\Temp\vmware-SYSTEM\vmware-usbarb-SYSTEM-####.log, and it doesn't have much more than the above error. It's shown below:

-

Nov 10 05:10:24.039: usbArb| Log for VMware USB Arbitration Service pid=3520 version=3.0.0 build=build-203739 option=Release

Nov 10 05:10:24.039: usbArb| The process is 32-bit.

Nov 10 05:10:24.039: usbArb| Host codepage=windows-1252 encoding=windows-1252

Nov 10 05:10:24.039: usbArb| DICT --- USER PREFERENCES C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\VMware\preferences.ini

Nov 10 05:10:24.040: usbArb| DICT --- USER DEFAULTS C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\VMware\config.ini

Nov 10 05:10:24.040: usbArb| DICT --- HOST DEFAULTS C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware USB Arbitration Service\config.ini

Nov 10 05:10:24.040: usbArb| DICT --- SITE DEFAULTS C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware USB Arbitration Service\config.ini

Nov 10 05:10:24.042: usbArb-3536| USBArb: Starting VMUSBArbService args:'VMUSBArbService'

Nov 10 05:10:24.043: usbArb-3536| USBArb: USBArbInit failed with error:31

Nov 10 05:10:24.044: usbArb-3536| USBArb: Stopping service, status:31

-

I've looked at some of the logs (but there were too many to go through) at c:\users\ current user\AppData\Local\Temp. The logs were named: vminst.log, vmsetup.log, vmmsi.log. I can post them if this will help but there are several of them and different copies under different users (admin1, user1, user2, etc)

I've tried manually starting the USB Arbitration Service and it doesn't start (same simple error, Error 31 stated above).

I've looked for a "AMD USB Filter Driver" to disable it (this worked for another person) but didn't find one installed.

My configuration is:

Hardware: HP Pavilion Elite - AMD X4 2.6GHz 8Gig DDR3

Host OS: Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit (Build 7600) 6.1.7600

Guest OS: Win XP Pro SP3 (but I think the problem is unrelated to the Guest)

VMWare Worksation: 7.0.0 build-203739

I love the speed of the system but I've also run into problems disk cloaning (for some reason the SATA drives are not detected by some disk imaging software). I was able to get Ghost to work but not Acronis, or Paragon. I think this is a separate issue but share it in case it matters. In these cases, posts reported that the X58 chipset (I think this is right but I'm not positive). This is too low level for me to follow.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShadM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I fought this same issue on a Vista box.

Try right clicking on one of the USB hubs and looking at the driver details. If usbfilter.sys is listed then open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} and delete the UpperFilter, usbfilter pair.

I rebooted and it works great now.

Shad

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
applefruit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

is your usb device working in your host OS???

if it is working in host OS, then you need to disconnect from the host OS and connect it to the guest OS..

while running your guest OS you can see the number of usb devices available at the right side bottom of your vmware workstation application, by moving the cursor near it displays your usb device.

then you could disconnect from host and the connect with your guest OS...

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

try to roll back the drivers for USB-root-hub to the Windows default one.

Post screenshot of USB-devices in the hosts devicemanager

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
PatrickSteranka
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

applefruit> is your usb device working in your host OS???

Yes. What's odd is that I see this error when I only have my USB keyboard and USB mouse plugged in.

applefruit> if it is working in host OS, then you need to disconnect from the host OS and connect it to the guest OS..

I've tried this and it doesn't work.

applefruit> while running your guest OS you can see the number of usb devices

available at the right side bottom of your vmware workstation

application, by moving the cursor near it displays your usb device. then you could disconnect from host and the connect with your guest OS...

No USB devices show up. I'm sure it's because the USB arbitration service is failing.

0 Kudos
PatrickSteranka
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

continuum> try to roll back the drivers for USB-root-hub to the Windows default one.

I'm not sure how to do this. I have a brand new Win7 box, and almost nothing else installed except VMware Workstation.

(Q) Does VMWare workstation replace the USB-root-hub drivers?

continuum> Post screenshot of USB-devices in the hosts devicemanager

I've attached this

0 Kudos
ShadM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I fought this same issue on a Vista box.

Try right clicking on one of the USB hubs and looking at the driver details. If usbfilter.sys is listed then open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} and delete the UpperFilter, usbfilter pair.

I rebooted and it works great now.

Shad

0 Kudos
PatrickSteranka
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Shad,

Thanks for your suggestion. This fixed my problem. Below are the details.

There were two changes required to fix the problem that I had that was preventing USB devices from working inside of the VM.

NOTE: The error I got in VMWare appeared when I started a VM. The error was:

Host USB device connections disabled.

The connection to the VMware USB Arbitration Service was unsuccessful. Please check the status of this service in the Microsoft Management Console.

To fix this problem two changes were made:

(1) I removed the usbfilter.sys driver from the registry,

(2) I disabled the "flash memory stick" drives that come as part of the system.

After making these two changes, VMWare would detect my USB Jumpdrive and allow it to be switched from the host to the VM.

The instructions for removing the usbfilter.sys driver is given below.

Navigate to the registry entry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}. If the key "UpperFilters" exist, then delete it. See also Shad's response above (at http://communities.vmware.com/message/1414955#1414955).

To disable the memory stick devices, I went into the Device Driver and selected "Disable the devices".

After these two changes and rebooting the system so that USB devices did not have the usbfilter.sys driver installed, VMWare VMs could access my USB jumpdrive.

0 Kudos
Killroy1971
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yep, that fixed it! I only used the usbfilter.sys hack, and it works like a charm! I'd recommend adding the modified registry key to a .reg file to your thumb drive/drop box/etc when traveling. This way you can access other external drives while running safe and warm inside your VM'd workstation.

Let's hope the VMWare developers will find a better fix in the next version.

0 Kudos
IrmaIsfot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  Heart  This really saved my day!

This solved not only the VMware USB problem for me, but also the dreaded "USB Device Not Recognized" when connecting a USB memory to the front USB ports, but not when connecting to the rear ones.  Now I'm alright and at peace in mind!

The issue of disabling the usbfilter is described in more detail here:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101680...

Thanks again!

0 Kudos