VMware Communities
antekone
Contributor
Contributor

time synchronization

Hello, I'm having a problem in disabling time sync between VMware (Vista 64) and a guest Windows (all of them really, but I'll refer to Vista 32bit here). So, I'm having tools.syncTime="FALSE" in the VMX, and VMWARE understands this, because it's dumping the proper value in the log:

Oct 19 12:37:29.503: vmx| DICT tools.syncTime = FALSE

There is no access to the internet in the guest ("Host-only" network), but the host has access to it. Also, I've disabled the NAT service, so guest Windows is NOT using ntpd to do the sync.

But even then, when I revert to the snapshot, I'm seeing 15:21 for few seconds (5-10 or so), and then it's changing to current time. So how do I disable this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums!

Snapshoting is one of the events which are not affected by disabling the VMware Tools timesync.

Add this as needed to your .vmx file:

tools.syncTime

If set to TRUE, the clock syncs periodically.

time.synchronize.continue

If set to TRUE, the clock syncs after taking a snapshot.

time.synchronize.restore

If set to TRUE, the clock syncs after reverting to a snapshot.

time.synchronize.resume.disk

If set to TRUE, the clock syncs after resuming from suspend and after migrating to a new host using the VMware VMotion feature.

time.synchronize.shrink

If set to TRUE, the clock syncs after defragmenting a virtual disk.

time.synchronize.tools.startup

If set to TRUE, the clock syncs when the tools daemon starts up, normally while the guest is booting.

AWo

VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

=Due to lack of employees, human beings work here. - Treat them carefully, they are rare.=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
antekone
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the welcome.

time.synchronize.restore did the trick. It's strange, because I'd swear I tried it already. But it haven't noticed that the .vmx file also gets replaced when the snapshot is being reverted ;).

So my solution was based on modification of the .vmx file of unreverted snapshot. This .vmx is stored in the .vmsn file (search for "cfg"). After writing "time.synchronize.restore" rule over there, the sync was turned off.

Thanks.

0 Kudos