VMware Horizon Community
chaz112182
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View XP Template

Hello,

I spent a few hours customizing my XP build for use as my View template. I then cloned my XP machine to template, created my guest customization specification, and then from there created my desktop pool. When I logged in using the View Client none of the customizations (i.e. no wallpaper, custom page file size, adjust for best performance, etc) were there. Everything was XP defaults. What's up with that ?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Desktop or profile related setting must be set in Default user profile.

Or you can use group policy to force this setting.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
chaz112182
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

andre thanks for the response, do you know the group policy that will allow me to enforce this ?

0 Kudos
guyrleech
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

These Microsoft spreadsheets are a good place to start when looking up GPOs as you can easily search for them in Excel. As the notes say, XP ones are included in the Vista SP1 ones.

Guy Leech

VMware vExpert 2009

---

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

-- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.
0 Kudos
chaz112182
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thhanks. i believe my issue is related to the fact that my xp teplate is running sp3.

see the portion relating to sp3 in the link above. i've downloaded the sp3 sysprep tools and also created a sysprep.inf file to enable the Minisetup process to copy the customizations from the administrator profile. i think copied all of that to Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\xp

still no luck. also, when i deploy a vm from this template using the same guest customization it joins to my domain automatically, however, when i create desktops via view administrator the vms do not join to the domain. any insight would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
guyrleech
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You're not actualy syspreping your base image are you? It should just be joined to the domain and on DHCP, not syspreped (for linked clones at least, which is all I use). The quickprep that View does I don't believe is a full enough sysprep that would necessarily actually pick up the sysprep.inf entry specified in the Microsoft article.

Presumably the user's don't have existing roaming profiles or local profiles in a user data disk?

If you search for "wallpaper" in the Vista SP1 group policy settings spreadsheet, you will find the setting "fNoRemoteDesktopWallpaper" which is what you will need to set, in GPOs, in order to disable desktop wallpapers.

I would set the page file in your base image.

Things like "adjust for best performance" which aren't available via GPO are best done, as Andre said, either in the default user profile, although you run the risk of a user overriding it depending on what control panel and registry access you give them, or have a logon script or other solution put it into the registry early at logon. You could also try writing a custom adm (just copy an existing adm snippet and change as required).

The key, with subkeys, you want to look at for this specific setting is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects

Guy Leech

VMware vExpert 2009

---

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

-- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.
0 Kudos