VMware Cloud Community
cajx
Contributor
Contributor

lost access to volume (local disk) on hp gl 380 g6

We've had this box crash 3 times on us. I found this error with it not being able to talk to its local hard drives. If you look at the drives physically, there is no activity. Anybody see this? Any suspects? We're opening a ticket with HP... my first guess is since this model is so new we'll have to do yet another firmware update on something.

Lost access to volume

4a1bc018-845d0ff4-f7db-00237de1b89e (cesxi1-A)

due to connectivity issues. Recovery attempt is in

progress and outcome will be reported shortly.

info

10/6/2009 10:00:31 AM

0 Kudos
4 Replies
cajx
Contributor
Contributor

Just to keep this documented:

After opening the ticket with HP, they suggested updating all firmware. We did so, it ran a week or two without dying. We have also done all updates available for ESXi 4 days ago. Yesterday the server died again with the same type of symptoms. We noticed the BIOS clock was off about 8 hours... we corrected it in the wild hopes that it would somehow hope. I'm still at a loss. Going to reopen the ticket with HP.

0 Kudos
atakacs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

FWIW seeing a very similar issue here.

Did you ever get the bottom of your problem ?

regards

0 Kudos
keithlammersBFS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We're also seeing the same symptoms on our Dell PowerEdge R310 running ESXi 4.1 U1. The host will stop reading from the local array, and the VM's are dead. Although you can login via the vSphere Client, no operations can be performed, and the only way to recover is by physically hard resetting the host.

I'm at a total loss here Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
keithlammersBFS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just a really late follow-up on this. We replaced our PERC 6i RAID cards with PERC H700 (w/ BBU) RAID cards shortly after my last post in this topic, and since then (over 3 years ago now!) we haven't had any issues at all. Not sure if the RAID cards were faulty, or if the drivers/firmware were just buggy, but we didn't bother to do any more troubleshooting with the old PERC 6i cards after we replaced them with the H700s.

0 Kudos