VMware Cloud Community
domboy
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Server 2 and vCenter??

I have read a couple times that VMware Server 2 (free) can be managed by vCenter/VirtualCenter, but haven't found much information on the topic. I originally heard about it in this article when Server 2 was in beta:

http://searchvmware.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid179_gci1312617,00.html

Sure I understand its capabilities would be limited compared to the ESX servers (no vmotion etc), but it would be nice to have a one-stop shop as far as user management is concerned.

So I figured I'd give it a shot (vCenter 4). I can get all the way through the Add Host wizard (and it identifies the server, version, networks, and virtual machines), and vCenter appears to be adding the host, then errors out with this message (in the recent tasks list):

Status: A general system error occurred: internal error: vmodl.fault-.HostCommunication

Details: Retrieving data from vCenter agent

The server then shows up in the inventory as a disconnected server. If I try to connect, it gives me the error "Authenticity of the host's SSL certificate is not verified."

Note that I had to install the License server from VI3.5 before vCenter would attempt to add the VMware Server 2.0 server to its database.

Has anyone else tried this? Does anyone know if it is supported in the final release? I haven't contacted tech support yet. I thought I'd ask here first. Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

You can verify in the Compatibility Matrixes - VMware Server 2.0 is not compatible with any version of the VIC or vCenter.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
domboy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the link. It is true that VMware Server 2 is not on the compatibility list (it's on the list, just no supported). However, I wanted to be sure, so I built a VirtualCenter 2.5 server in eval mode (from my VI 3.5 CDs), and I am able to successfully add a VMware Server 2 host to it. So the functionality does work in VirtualCenter 2.5, but I guess it is broken in vCenter 4, or I have something misconfigured.

0 Kudos
domboy
Contributor
Contributor

Deleted duplicate post...

0 Kudos
domboy
Contributor
Contributor

Deleted duplicate post...

0 Kudos
domboy
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I contacted tech support about this. Their answer was the same as vmroyale's - check compatibility matrix - not supported. So I am left wondering why the feature works in VirtualCenter 2.5, but is broken in vCenter 4. I tried upgrading the working VC 2.5 (with the VMware Server 2 host attached) to vCenter 4, and it was not able to reconnect to the host after the upgrade. I hope this "unsupported" functionaltiy will be fixed, but I guess I probably don't have much reason to hope. Shame really.

0 Kudos