VMware Communities
ferwasy
Contributor
Contributor

Mouse clicking lost in VMware Workstation 6.5

Hello. I'm using VMWare Workstation 6.5 64 bits in a Debian Squeeze (testing) on a Dell Studio XPS 16 laptop. I'm using kernel 2.6.30 so I used this patch () to build the modules for my kernel. VMware worked great, so I installed Windows XP 32 bits and Windows 7 release candidate 32 bits as guests. Both installations finished OK, but when I login to any of my guests operating systems I can't click with either my USB mouse or the touchpad. I can move the mouse pointer through the guest's desktop but i can't do a left o right click, it just doesn't work. Does anybody know what could be the problem and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

PS: I installed VMWare Tools in both guests.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
kwarnke
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having a similar problem.

My host OS is Windows 7 64-bit RTM.

My guest OS is Windows XP SP2 32-bit.

VMWare Workstation 6.5.3.

The difference is my mouse sometimes works and sometimes behaves like the original post. If I "restore" the size of my VMWare screen then go back to "full screen" it sometimes clears up the problem for a while.

I was working fine when my host was Windows Vista 64-bit. After upgrading to Windows 7 64-bit RTM this problem started ocurring.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin

0 Kudos
xdeveshx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMtools (VM upgrade) is installed in guest os or NOT ??

0 Kudos
Uukrul
Contributor
Contributor

Similar problems in the package libgtk2.0-0_2.18.0-1_i386.deb if using the version of libgtk2.0-0_2.16.6-1_i386.deb everything works.
0 Kudos
kwarnke
Contributor
Contributor

The latest VMWare Tools is installed. Is there a separate "update" for that?

I am able to work better when I don't use full screen mode (and just use the mode where there's the thin set of tabs at the top with just the vmware guests listed. The only problem this way, though, is that the mouse gets "locked" into the guest OS and you have to use ALT+CTRL to get back to the host (just like you do when you don't have VMWare Tools installed at all).

I've read some other posts that make it sound like this won't be fixed for Windows 7 as the HOST until Workstation 7 is released. Is that true?? Seems like VMware should be fixing this to stay up to date.

Thanks,

Kevin

0 Kudos
jrminter
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar problem with VMware-Workstation-6.5.3-185404.x86_64 on Mandiva 2010.0 RC1 x86_64 under kernel 2.6.31.1-desktop-1mnb.

Given the comment by Uukrul, I should note that I have

lib64gtk+-x11-2.0_0 version 2.18.0-1mdv2010.0

installed

Regards,

John

0 Kudos
Uukrul
Contributor
Contributor

Today in the updated Debian package libgtk2.0-0_2.18.1-1_i386.deb, partially resolved the problem ... mouse itself does not leave the windows virtual machine, but if you want to go into the main OS you want to exit press Ctrl + Alt
0 Kudos
BobJones69
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am experiencing a similar issue. I load XP (SP3) as a guest in VMware7.0.0 on a Windows 7 Host (32 bit guest, 64 bit host) and after a random amount of time (which tends to correspond with my ability to remain sane...let me say that I am just hanging in there...I think! LOL) the mouses left click becomes neuted

Poor mouse, but more importantly poor me. It is amazing how useless a computer (or in this case Virtual Machine) becomes when the left click on your mouse just disappears!

The mouse can still be moved, right clicked, etc....just no left click.

Any developments on this front since the original post?

Thanks

Davo

0 Kudos
turtlesmack
Contributor
Contributor

Exact same environment and problem as BobJones69. I lose left click functionality after a seemingly random amount of time using Workstation 7.1.0 build-261024. I can still move the mouse around and use the keyboard to select various elements in the VM. Super annoying.

0 Kudos