VMware Cloud Community
jaffa-unisys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

firewall configure on esxi 4 host

Kia Ora team

I have built up an esxi 4 host onto a basic piece of hardware i had lying around, as you do!

I'm wanting to open up some firewall ports on the host. From the VC client (host configuration) Security Profile tab, then select properties, i can not tick all of the incoming and outgoing ports i require. Also the esxcfg-firewall command is missing, even when i utilise a VMware UMA to pass RCI commands to the host, that one doesn't seem to be available. ?:|

see attachment "..-nzwlg-pile-1.png"

On esx 3.5 or esx 4, i would use the host configuration SecurityProfile tab, select properties, click the appropriate ports in and out and done. This functionality appears to have moved/missing?

Also of weirdness is i have another esxi 4 install that does have the settings showing correctly underneath the Securityh Profile|Properties tab.? (attachment "..-nzwlg-pile2.png")

All assistance greatly appreciated and have an excellent week! 😃

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESXi doesn't have much exposed in terms of services. Any software tools you want to use must specifically support ESXi.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESXi does not have a firewall. ESX does but not ESXi. If your ESXi host is exposed you need to add an external firewall.

0 Kudos
jaffa-unisys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi.

thanks for the reply. That conclusion was where my thinking was going, until i looked up the Security Profile on my other ESXi 4 host and all of those 'firewall' ports as a service were available. left me confused, hence my query to the community.

so configuring of ports and the like if the host and a VC have a firewall, would be as per the documentation. But since its an ESXi 4 host you don't have to do anything in the security profile for VMUM, or say COMVAULT or any other product ports?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESXi doesn't have much exposed in terms of services. Any software tools you want to use must specifically support ESXi.

0 Kudos
smapjb1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have found clarkconnect to be a superb firewall in ESXi.. i.e. install it as a VM and configure your virtual network to suit.

http://www.clarkconnect.com

I have found the 1:1 NAT in the enterprise version to be especially useful.

Yours

Phil

0 Kudos