VMware Cloud Community
oystein_dahl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Where has the LVM.DisallowSnapshotLUN gone in ESX 4 ?

Can not find the settings for allowing SnapshotLUN and disabling Resignature of LUN's on ESX 4.0 hosts.

On ESX 3.5 we had:

LVM.DisallowSnapshotLUN

and

LVM.EnableResignature

What/where is the equivalent on ESX 4?

Rgds Øystein Dahl...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In the GUI, you will have the option when you "add storage"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In the GUI, you will have the option when you "add storage"

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

You will have the option through the UI as Troy indicated and you also have a new tool available on both the classic ESX and vCLI called esxcfg-volume/vicfg-volume, take a look at Duncan Eppings post about the new tool: http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2009/03/13/vmfs-recognized-as-a-snapshot-what-to-do-exploringthe-next-v...

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Techno_Notice
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Where is the option through the UI?

After I have added the iSCSI adapter and it sees the LUN I check the storage section. Nothing is there. If I "Add storage" I can select Disk/LUN or NFS. Selecting Disk/LUN presents me with an empty screen to select the Disk/LUN. According to the EMC guide they won't appear because there is an active VMFS system on it.

0 Kudos
GeorgeMahesh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

LVM.DisallowSnapshotLUN is removed in ESX4.0 UI and got switched to per-volume resignature and mount (i.e., disallowSnapshotLUN).

If you need to resignature a mounted datastore copy, first unmount it.

Before you resignature a VMFS datastore, perform a storage rescan on your host so that the host updates its view of LUNs presented to it and discovers any LUN copies.

Procedure

1. Log in to the vSphere Client and select the server from the inventory panel.

2. Click the Configuration tab and click Storage in the Hardware panel.

3. Click Add Storage.

4. Select the Disk/LUN storage type and click Next.

5. From the list of LUNs, select the LUN that has a datastore name displayed in the VMFS Label column and click Next.

The name present in the VMFS Label column indicates that the LUN is a copy that contains a copy of an existing VMFS datastore.

6. Under Mount Options, select Assign a New Signature and click Next.

7. In the Ready to Complete page, review the datastore configuration information and click Finish.

What to do next

After resignaturing, you might need to do the following:

- If the resignatured datastore contains virtual machines, update references to the original VMFS datastore in the virtual machine files, including .vmx, .vmdk, .vmsd, and .vmsn.

- To power on virtual machines, register them with vCenter Server.

0 Kudos