VMware Cloud Community
cwg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Trying to migrate an existing IDE system to ESXi

We're trying to relocate a running system from an IDE based system in Connecticut to an ESXi system in Georgia.

We used VMware VCenter Converter Standalone to create a backup image and then copied the vmdk and vmx files across the net to the network on which the ESXi system resides.

I am unable to use this image; every approach complains about a missing catalog file.

The Convert Machine wizard allows me to select the vmx file, but if I click on View Source Details... or push the Next button, it says " The VMware Consolidated Backup source '
Vs1\chris.garrigues\osn3\build.vmx' has a missing catalog file."

The vmx file contains:

.encoding = "windows-1252"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "7"
memsize = "880"
MemAllowAutoScaleDown = "FALSE"
displayName = "build"
guestOS = "winXPPro"
floppy0.present = "TRUE"
floppy0.autodetect = "TRUE"
floppy0.filename = "auto detect"
serial0.present = "TRUE"
serial0.fileType = "device"
serial0.fileName = "auto-detect"
serial0.autodetect = "TRUE"
sound.present = "TRUE"
sound.filename = "-1"
sound.autodetect = "TRUE"
usb.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
ethernet0.connectionType = "bridged"
ethernet0.startConnected = "TRUE"
ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
ide0:0.fileName = "build.vmdk"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.autodetect = "TRUE"
ide1:0.filename = "auto detect"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"
mks.enable3d = "TRUE"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
ehci.present = "TRUE"
annotation = ""
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
tools.upgrade.policy = "useGlobal"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

I created a catalog file by hand and changed the symptoms, but since I didn't really know what it should look like and merely copied one I found with google and made some obvious changes, I'm not surprised that was all I accomplished.

I'd prefer to not have to re-copy the image across the net because it is rather large, but I will do so if I have to.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You made a conversion to what? If you were converting a physical machine to a virtual one what did you convert it to. ESXi does not use hardware version 7 or IDE disks so the VMX file wasn't for ESX. Using an existing disk won't work for a hardware 7 format vmdk. You could try starting this up in vmware player to see if it starts. If it does then you can go through convert on a running machine directly to the ESXi host. It should be able to make the conversion happen.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

From the VMX contents I would say thet you didn't run convert to migrate the files to the ESXi host. ESXi doesn't understand HW version 7. You will need to run the convert tool again.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can not use these files directly on the ESXi system. Use converter again, point to the local files as source, and put the ESXI system as destination. You are basically doing a convert to ESXi.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
cwg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Given that the ESXi system is in another state and it took us days to copy the files when we did it the other way, how well will this approach work if there's network flakiness?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The files you have need to be converted again. You can't just copy them to the ESXi host. Take the files you have and run converter against those files. If the files only exist on the ESXi host then you will need to copy them off to somewhare else and then run converter on those files with the destination as the ESXi host.

0 Kudos
cwg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The error I mentioned in my original question was when running the converter on the files I have. Certainly sounds like I have to start from square one.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is this a VMware Workstation to ESXi conversion? If it was perhaps you can use Player and convert it from a running machine.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Since you created the files, you don't have to convert that again from the original machine. What you will need to do is point converter to the files and convert to ESX. Another thing you can do, is to create a new virtual machine, and when adding the disk, select existing disk, and browse to where you put the vmdk files. This should create a new vm, and use the existing data off the files you copied over.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

kjb007

Unless I am wrong and this is a preconversion VMX file the hardware is version 7 and the disk is IDE so pointing to the vmdx file won't work.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If the disk is created IDE, then you are correct. But, in that scenario, the conversion using the converted files to ESX will still work, as opposed to starting the conversion all over again from the original machine.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
cwg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's not.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's not what?

0 Kudos
cwg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Pointing the converter at the original files is what gives me the missing catalog error. RIght now, I'm re-uploading the files into the ESXi server so I can try pointing a new disk at them as you suggest. (I think I tried this before, but I've had an interruption of a week, so I don't remember exactly what I tried before.)

This upload progress indicator has the most meaningless time estimate I've yet to see in my years online.

0 Kudos
cwg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's not a VMware Workstation to ESXi conversion. It's from a plain old hardware windows installation.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The local files should be on a machine accessible to your converter client, not on the ESXi host. Then, run the conversion pointing to that network share, or local drive where those files are located, and pointing to the ESXi host.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
cwg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Running the conversion pointing at the network share is what gives me the missing catalog error.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You made a conversion to what? If you were converting a physical machine to a virtual one what did you convert it to. ESXi does not use hardware version 7 or IDE disks so the VMX file wasn't for ESX. Using an existing disk won't work for a hardware 7 format vmdk. You could try starting this up in vmware player to see if it starts. If it does then you can go through convert on a running machine directly to the ESXi host. It should be able to make the conversion happen.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos