VMware Cloud Community
georgewkenny
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migrate VMs from Citrix Xen Server to VMWare ESX 3.5

Hello all. I have a requirement to retire a Xen Server and migrate all of the critical VMs running on it onto a newly provisioned VMWare infrastructure (wooo hooo).

Only problem is we do actually need to migrate these servers as their build is relatively complex - so my question is:

How easy is it / what is the best method to convert our Xen Server VMs (all Windows Server 2003) into some form of transferrable file and import these into the new VMWare infrastructure?

Thoughts, ideas and experiences welcomed!

Regards

Egroeg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
10 Replies
Rockapot
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Personally I would just use VMware Convertor and P2V each VM in to VMware ESX direct or alternatively P2V them to VMDK files and import them in to ESX.

The process if fairly straight forward, especially since the VM's are all Windows Server 2003 (not Linux etc..)

Carl

0 Kudos
runclear
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Convertor, would probably be my first path... .seems to be the easiest.... and less dangerous.. as you have a solid backout plan... i guess you would really be doing a V2V in this case...

-

-------------------- What the f* is the cloud?!
0 Kudos
Rockapot
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I should have mentioned V2V instead of P2V Smiley Wink

Carl

0 Kudos
georgewkenny
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok - thanks guys.

Next question, I've installed VMWare converter onto my laptop, made a backup of the VM and then pointed the Software at one of my lesser critical servers. The Software spots out the VM and installs the converting agent, but on the second screen is required destination credentials (ie: where and which ESX server I want to deploy my VM into).

At present, I am unable to do this as I do not have my ESXs ready (they are going to be provisioned onto the same metal as the Xens are currently).

Ideally I want to simply export the VMs to a file so I can import them onto an ESX at a later date or at another geographical site.

Am I correct in saying that I MUST have an ESX present when using VMWare converter? (See attached for second screen)

0 Kudos
Rockapot
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You dont need an ESX host present when doing conversions. You can use the standalone VM convertor to convert the VM's in to flat files and just store these on USB media or another servers local storage.

Once your ESX hosts are built you simply copy* the VM files on to the ESX VMFS partition/LUN and then use the vmkfstools command to import them.

*You can use FastSCP to copy the VM files to the ESX hosts LUN.

Carl

0 Kudos
georgewkenny
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hmmm, odd - I'm not getting an option to save the VM as a flat file as you've described.... I've just downloaded VMWare Converter Standalone from the VMWare website which is running version 4.0 build 146302.

I go into "Conver Machine" from the main page, enter the VM credentials, Next, then it sends agent to the VM, then on the second screen it gives me two options for the destination:

1) VMWARE Infrastructure Virtual Machine

2) VMWare Workstation or other VMWare Virtual Machine

It does not give me an option to write to a flat file....

?

0 Kudos
Rockapot
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

As you dont have an ESX host just select "VMware Workstation". This will export the VM's to workstation compatibility mode and place the files in a folder of your choosing.

Once the new ESX host is built then use FastSCP to copy the VM files from the local storage to the ESX host VMFS partition. They will still be in VMware Workstation format so you need to convert/import them using the "vmkfstools" command. Works perfectly fine. Dont over 100 this way.

Carl

0 Kudos
Rockapot
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
georgewkenny
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Rockapot!

I'm now running the conversion - let's see what happens when it completes.

Thanks for all your help!

0 Kudos
Rockapot
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Cool no probs. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Carl

0 Kudos