VMware Cloud Community
BridgeBDE
Contributor
Contributor

Vista and Server2008 cloning, activation issues

Hi there

We want to use one of our ESX-Servers for testing.

What we basically need is to have a couples of templates, and clone them for different purposes. With XP and Server 2003 it's no problem at all. I can clone them, create a new UUID and the Windows doesen't want to activate.

If we use Vista or Server 2008, after we create a new UUID, Windows wants to reactivate...

We are using MSDN licenses for that purpose, with MAK license keys. I read somewhere that it's suggested to use volume licenses for that. I did change the Vista key to an volume license key afterwards, clo0ned, and got the same problem..

I have absolutely no clue what to do.

Hope that someone can help me with my issue...

Cheers

Bridge

0 Kudos
3 Replies
aldikan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Bridge,

You might have to contact Microsoft to clarify,

My understandig is that Volume licensing policy was changed with Server 2008 and now activation needed every time you "Deploy from Template",

Brief experience that I had with Server 2008 at my previous employment, shows exactly that, and back then (2 months ago or so), I had a link to explanations, can't seem to find it now.

Please rate if helpful,

Alex

0 Kudos
aldikan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Bridge,

From the M$ itself:

"Activation Policy

Previously, activation for Microsoft® Windows® was required only for Microsoft software purchased from retail stores and original equipment manufacturers (OEMs). Operating system licenses purchased through volume licensing programs did not require activation. Additionally, available activation methods made it difficult to control product keys that came with volume editions of Microsoft software. Because of this, product keys for volume editions of Windows XP and Microsoft Windows Server® 2003 were easily compromised and became the primary source of pirated software. In fact, over 80% of Windows XP piracy is due to the accidental leaking of product keys issued to volume customers. To address this issue, Microsoft introduced a new activation policy for Windows Vista® and Windows Server 2008®.

Microsoft's policy requires the activation of all editions of Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 operating systems, including those obtained through a volume licensing program. This requirement applies to Windows running on both physical computers and virtual machines. Volume Activation 2.0 (VA 2.0) is a new set of tools that helps customers with this new requirement. It automates the process of activation on computers running volume editions of Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008. "

Here is the link that has tons of info on "Volume Activation 2.0" applicable to Server 2008 and Windows Vista:

Please rate if helpful,

Alex

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Moved to Virtual Machine and Guest OS forum.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, DABCC Analyst
====
Author of the books 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment' available for pre-order now
'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
SearchVMware Pro|Blue Gears|Top Virtualization Security Links|Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos