VMware Cloud Community
benze
Contributor
Contributor

Error Converting remote CentOS5 x64 install: "Unable to find VirtualDisk for an active volume"

Hi,

I have installed the Converter Standalone on my remote Linux CentOS5 x64 box with all the default settings (including setting remote access in Converter Standalone Server to no). I further installed the Converter Standalone on my Win XP box as my intermediary between my CentOS and my ESXi installation.

I am able to successfully go through steps 1-3 of the conversion setup, however, when I get to Step 4 (Ready to Complete) I get the following error message:

"A general system error occurred: Invalid argument : VmTransformerImpl::SeparateBootDisk: Unable to find VirtualDisk for an actual volume".

I have been able to successfully convert a Windows machine to my ESXi machine, but am having trouble with my CentOS box. I have given it the root credentials to ensure that it has full access to the system, but it is still failing.

Is there any way to get further information as to what this error means or a more detailed log so I can potentially figure out what the problem is? My /var/log/vmware-vcenter-converter-standalone/vmware-converter-server.log doesn't indicate any error messages (see attached).

Thanks,

Eric

0 Kudos
8 Replies
vilinski
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you post logs exported from the Converter UI after you get this error?

0 Kudos
kleung3
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have the same issue converting an Ubuntu 8.04LTS server. I suspect it might be my automounted NFS mounts on the / directory. Since the server is in production I have no way of stopping the automounter to find out. Any one else out there with this conversion problem and NFS automounts?

Kogee

0 Kudos
vmweathers
Expert
Expert

Hi kleung3, can you please post the logs? (File -> Export Logs...)

(If your question has been resolved please mark the answers as "Helpful" or "Correct".)

(If your question has been resolved please mark the answers as "Helpful" or "Correct".)
0 Kudos
aetm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

CentOS 5 or Ubuntu 8 are not listed as supported (yet) for Converter 4.0, the current version.

You could try an alternative method to get that system converted: Create an VM with a similar system and build to the physical machine, create an exclusion list for files and directories you don't want copied over (/boot, /dev, /proc etc) and then run the rsync command with the –delete option.

If the two linux distributions are the same, over 90% of the files don't get transferred. If the /boot partition is excluded it's important that the two kernels are identical otherwise it will cause problems. If the /boot partition is rsync'd then the initrd file will be wrong and will have to be fixed. This method doesn't use additional storage space to store an image of the source system.

0 Kudos
shaharb
Contributor
Contributor

I think it's because your boot partition is on a raided volume - at least this is the case for me.

Anyone have an idea how to solve it?

Thanks

0 Kudos
DavidMartin
Contributor
Contributor

I've got the same error message converting a RHEL4 physical workstation to ESX4.0 or ESX3.5. The /boot partition is mirrored. Anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers.

0 Kudos
dromanvmware
Contributor
Contributor

same issue here, RHEL 4.5 with / mirrored on a /dev/md0

Anybody got a way around this besides the manual method of rsyncing, etc.

Thanks,

---Dean.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

i would like to know too, rsync is what i do everytime. thanks in advance.

0 Kudos