VMware Cloud Community
felixnielsen
Contributor
Contributor

custom patches - possible?

Hi

Is it possible to use the update manager to apply own custom patched to VM OS?

Let's say we have some updates to a own developed web application or similar - can we get this updated deploy through the update manager engine?

Thanks

Felix

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

VUM does updates for ESX, Linux guests and Windows guests. I don't know what kind of "custom" patches you are referring to, but you can set a static baseline and attach that baseline with the patches you need.

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/update_manager_datasheet.pdf

0 Kudos
felixnielsen
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I know that, but can we make our own patches?`based on new version of our own application

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

not that I am aware of.....

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

No not at this point in time.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
nc9379
Contributor
Contributor

Has the status of this changed at all with the release of vCenter Update Manager 4.0?

Thznk you.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If the usage is to install 3rparty patches, yes VUM supports it, but there are some restrictions..

• With vSphere 4.0, VUM supports 'third party' installation of patches from third party vendors. With VUM 4.0, you can configure multiple 'depot' urls (for different vendors).

• Each patch that needs to be installed on ESX machines needs to be signed and third party vendors typically work with VMware to get the necessary bits to sign and publish their patches.

if the question is about installing patches of components which are not signed, the answer is no, its not possible with VUM4.0

0 Kudos