VMware Cloud Community
dafunkphenom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWARE Workstation or ESXi

I currently run VMWARE Workstation on my Windows XP host machine. I have a 5 machine Windows active directory lab setup in a "TEAM" environment.

It is soon time to expand my lab to 7 machines and want some advice on what I should do next. I was going to go one of 2 routes.

1. Upgrade my PC by replacing the host 32bit OS to a 64bit OS. Get a more powerful CPU and go to 6GB of RAM. I am still worried about disk I/O however with this many machines as I have all my guests running on one hard drive. If anybody cares to elaborate on performance by running this many machines off of 1 disk it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Get the required hardware to create an ESXi whitebox. I really don't know much about the capability or features of ESXi. I guess the main thing I want to know is can you setup a "TEAM" function like in VMWARE Workstation. I find this feature very handy.

If I decide to build an ESXi server, is it worth installing in a guest VM in workstation for practice? Is this advisable?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Based on what you're saying in this thread, I think I concur with NWhiley. Stick with Workstation and add to your current HW configuration. I would definitely add additional hard drives, perhaps even an external storage array. The external array has a nice benefit in that, should you decide to go the ESXi route at a later date, it will be easy to take your storage with you. This will be your least expensive (in terms of money & learning curve) option and doesn't prevent you from going to ESXi in the future. That's one of the beauties of virtualization, you can grow in stages Smiley Happy

Ken Cline

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
AsherN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I would go the ESXi route.

I would also install a workstation as a VM. That way you would have a workstation to use within your lab network.

If you want total isolation, do not put a wire to the pNIC assigned to the VMs vSwitch. They should still see each other, but not the outside world.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes you would be able to create a TEAM, although it will require some extra configuration. Keep in mind that you will still need an extra PC to actually access the VM's.

Duncan

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
dafunkphenom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Keep in mind that you will still need an extra PC to actually access the VM's.

Care to elaborate? Are you referring to the external storage that is required? Couldn't I vrtualize that also within the same box?

0 Kudos
AsherN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can virtualize workstations for your test LAN.

However, the ESX server itself cannot be used to access the VMs. For that you need a physical workstation runnig the VI client.

0 Kudos
norregaard
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

To my understanding the TEAM (group a number of VM's and define e.g. boot sequence) function will not be available in ESX until the next version - under the name vApp...

0 Kudos
NWhiley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You will get better performance (irrespective of ESXi or workstation) if you sort out your hardware first.

A single disk is going to give performance bottlenecks, especially with 7VMs and your host OS.

Disks are cheap, so go buy a couple more and split the VMs across these.

Memory will always help, again, this is cheap so go with what you can fit into your PC. Remember you will need a 64bit OS if you want to address more than 4GB.

Neil VCP
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You could virtualize shared storage as well indeed. BUT you would still need to access the VM. ESXi is a baremetal hypervisor and doesn't have an OS running under it like VMware workstation has. You will only see a "DOS" alike screen and that's it. No direct access to the VM's from your host that's running ESXi.

Duncan

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
dafunkphenom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does ESXi require an external DNS server? Let's say I wanted to install my AD lab in a box just like I have it installed now on workstation. I have one guest machine configured to host the DNS as well as the Global Catalog. I'm trying to visualize how this works given that I need to setup remote administration etc. This will be a home rig setup, so I have my machines plugged into a DSL gateway. With my current setup I have one of my virtual machines running as a router. One vNIC bridged to my physical adapter and the other vNIC connected to my private virtual switch (VMNET2)

That's why I previously asked about the "TEAMS" function. Can an ESXi box be configured to bring up my virtual DC first, followed my my child DC's, other servers, then workstations?

From reading it appears that my best option is to keep using workstation. I'll have to upgrade to 64-bit hardware. As far as disk I/O is concerned, with my current configuration I have my host OS installed on one physical disk and all my VM's installed on a second physical disk. If I was to add another hard drive and split my VM's across 2 physical disks (without RAID) would it result in increased performance?

0 Kudos
NWhiley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In reality, a VM is no different to a physical server in terrms of config, acting as DNS etc. It just hasn't got it's own dedicated hardware.

At home I have a virtual environment that includes Windows, RHEL 5, CentOS and ESX 3.5 with futher VMs inside that.

I use VMware server and set it up to only start my root domain Windows box, as that is configured as my DHCP, WINS, DNS and runs all the AD roles.

With ESXi, you would set up vSwitches which you pin (if required) to a real NIC. You can have many port groups on a vSwitch and you can have a vSwitch without a NIC, if you want to keep the traffic "private". Typically, I use these for cluster heartbeat networks when testing.

All servers require DNS, if the DNS is a hosted VM, then obviously any DNS requirements would fail until the VM powers up. If you are looking at VMotion, then I would strongly advise an external DNS server.

With disks, the rule is simple. More spindles = more performance, so yes, additional disks will give your host and VMs a boost as there will be less disk contention.

Neil VCP
0 Kudos
dafunkphenom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So after reading your post it seems that unless I am going to use the extra features of ESXi like SAN storage, vMotion etc..it is better than I just upgrade my hardware and keep using VMWARE WS 6.5.

My current home AD lab consists of a virtual Forest root and Child domain, a Win2K3 vm that I have bridged to my physical NIC and use as a router, another stand alone Win2K3 vm and an XP vm. 5 machines in total running off of 1 Seagate 7200rpm hard drive. I have an ASUS P5K motherboard and all my hardware would support 64-bit if I decide to upgrade from my 32-bit host XP OS.

I want to implement 2 or 3 more VM's to practice SQL, test McAfee products like ePO and maybe make a Linux file server. I need more memory and a different disk configuration because I will be taxed in both areas. If I add another 7200rpm hard drive and put 4 virtual machines on one disk and 3 on the other, this should solve my disk I/O issues. I'll then add memory to total 8GB. I'm thinking of using Ubuntu 64-bit linux as a host OS, because I've been reading how VMWARE WS runs better sitting on a Linux host because of less overhead and rebooting frequency.

Opinions of my approach anyone?

0 Kudos
NWhiley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I would say yes.

For test lab style work, Workstation is a brilliant product. It gives you multiple snapshots and will let you run all your VMs within a session. If you want the ability to remote control VMs while not having to be logged in, have a look at VMware Server. Again, a great product very suited to build up / tear down environments and will all run on one host.

Myself, I use Server, but I do have a copy of Workstation too. The ASUS board you have can host loads of drives, I would seriously consider spending a few quid on more drives, they are next to nothing these days and will remove your disk contention. Something like this would be fine.

Have a look at your favourite reseller / hard drive manufacturer and 300GB drives are under £50 each.

I don't host any VMs on my OS drive.

Neil VCP
0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Based on what you're saying in this thread, I think I concur with NWhiley. Stick with Workstation and add to your current HW configuration. I would definitely add additional hard drives, perhaps even an external storage array. The external array has a nice benefit in that, should you decide to go the ESXi route at a later date, it will be easy to take your storage with you. This will be your least expensive (in terms of money & learning curve) option and doesn't prevent you from going to ESXi in the future. That's one of the beauties of virtualization, you can grow in stages Smiley Happy

Ken Cline

VMware vExpert 2009

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
dafunkphenom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your opinions and suggestions. These forums have been extremely valuable.

On a slightly different topic. You suggested an external array. Do you have any specific suggestions in mind? I want something with decent performance with as low as cost as possible given that it will be used in my test lab.

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

There are lots of options. Basically, make sure you get a decent controller (make sure it is supported by all phyiscal OS'es you might want to use - including ESXi) and the rest is a piece of cake. Here's an older article that should be helpful, but again, be careful with the controller. The one mentioned in that article is still viable, but is by no means a performance leader by today's standards.

3ware offers some good stuff (just make sure you get the right interface - PCI-X or PCI Express!)

Ken Cline

VMware vExpert 2009