VMware Communities
GrampsB
Contributor
Contributor

VMware frozen in the "Windows shutting down" screen

I am running VMware version 2.0.2 and Windows XPon Mac OS 10.5.6. Today, a problem has developed in which the program is frozen in the "Windows is shutting down" screen. This screen is what comes up after I close Fusion and restart it, as well as after I power off and on my iMac. I can't get to any of the Windows XP screens to do anything within Windows. I have a feling that this occurred after Windows downloaded an update and was in the process of restarting itself. I would appreciate any suggestions.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Note: This is like pulling the plug from the wall on a Physical Computer. Anything not saved will be lost and there is always the possibility of corrupting the Filesystem when preforming a Hard Shutdown! (Although you may have no other choice but to do this.)

VMware Fusion menu bar > Virtual Machine > press the option key and select Power Off

1718_1718.gif

Pressing the alt/option key changes "Shutdown Guest" to "Power Off".

Note: It also changes the "Suspend Guest" and "Restart Guest" commands too.

Or if that doesn't work then...

On the Virtual Machine Library ctrl-click the target Virtual Machine and select Show in Finder and the ctrl-click the target Virtual Machine Package and then after closing Fusion delete the .vmss file. Note: Anything that was not saved from the suspended state will be lost by deleting the .vmss file. Note: However you may have not other choice is the Virtual Machine will not suspend/unsuspend/shutdown/start properly.

0 Kudos
GrampsB
Contributor
Contributor

Woody,

Thanks for the quick reply. When the screen was frozen

on "Windows shutting down", I couldn't even get to the Fusion menu

bar. So I tried to uninstall the program, and then reinstall it from

the original CD (version 1.1). Well, I seem to be digging yself into a

deeper hole. After reinstallation, when I try to start the program I

get the error message...

File"/Users/jeromeburstein/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows XPProfessional.vmwarevm/Windows XP Professional.vmx" was created by aVMware product with more features than this version of and cannot be used with this version of VMware Fusion.

Cannot

open configuration file /Users/jeromeburstein/Documents/Virtual

Machines.localized/Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm/Windows XP

Professional.vmx.

This also happens if I go online and download the update to version 2.0.2

Thanks an advance for any additional help you can give.

GrampsB

0 Kudos
GrampsB
Contributor
Contributor

Woody,

Thanks for the quick reply. When the screen was frozen on "Windows shutting down", I couldn't even get to the Fusion menu bar. So I tried to uninstall the program, and then reinstall it from the original CD (version 1.1). Well, I seem to be digging yself into a deeper hole. After reinstallation, when I try to start the program I get the error message...

File "/Users/jeromeburstein/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm/Windows XP Professional.vmx" was created by a VMware product with more features than this version of VMware Fusion and cannot be used with this version of VMware Fusion.

Cannot open configuration file /Users/jeromeburstein/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm/Windows XP Professional.vmx.

This also happens if I go online and download the update to version 2.0.2

Thanks an advance for any additional help you can give.

GrampsB

0 Kudos