VMware Horizon Community
VDIWannabe007
Contributor
Contributor

View Virtual Desktop Color Depth Issue

I cant seem to get the virtual desktop color depth higher than 15bit!

I am currently using Wyse V10L thin Clients with the latest firmware 6.13 and VMware View Server 3.

I have set the color depth in group policy for terminal server to 32bit but i cant get higher than 15bit - please can anyone help?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

are you using a wnos.ini?

if so, add a line

DesktopColorDepth=32

0 Kudos
VDIWannabe007
Contributor
Contributor

I have the following lines in my wnos.ini file however it still does not work:

Resolution=1280x1024 Refresh=60

DesktopColorDepth=32

Dualhead=Yes Mainscreen=1 Orientation=hort Taskbar=wholescreen

DeskColor="128 128 128"

Desktop=dmowysewallpaper.jpg Layout=center

FormURL=vmware.jpg

When I fire up the Wyse V10L and it brings up the login screen - I enter the credentials and click login. An RDP shortcut is created on the wyse desktop and the Connection Manager is opened with the RDP session in it. If I click on settings for that RDP session then the color depth settings are set to high (not sure if that means 16bit) even though my wnos.ini file states 32bit. This issue is driving me crazy....

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you are probably not going to get true 32bit color. The best we've ever gotten over RDP is 24bit. What we had to do, with a combination of the wnos.ini file was log into the VM with administrative privileges and change the settings on the VM to use 32bit. Once that change was made we were able to get 24bit, but never 32

VDIWannabe007
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not able to get higher that 16bit - even if I log on as administrator I do not have options in the drop down box for higher color depth. Do you think it is because I am using a dual DVI version of the V10L wyse thin client?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

XP only allows RDP connections to it in 16-bit colour by default.

Connections that request greater colour depths will be served in 16-bit

colour. To change this to 24-bit (it's not capable of 32-bit), set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\ColorDepth to 4 on the guest, then reboot it.

0 Kudos
VDIWannabe007
Contributor
Contributor

I have set this option in group policy which sets the same reg setting as described above. In my wnos.ini i have stated the following for color depth:

Resolution=1280x1024 Refresh=60

Dualhead=yes Mainscreen=2 Orientation=hort Taskbar=wholescreen

DesktopColorDepth=32

The max color depth i can get when i login to the virtual xp machine is still 16 bit - i cant even get 24 bit which is what i need.

If i logon to the virtual xp desktop using the VMware view client then i am able to get 24bit graphics. It seems that the RDP wyse client is not allowing me to connect using 24bit graphics. Is there a specific setting i need to set to get 24bit graphics?

Help please..... 😐

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Could you try to set Colors=high in your WNOS.INI. I've found this: http://www.technicalhelp.de/products/5000/VDM_Configuration_for_Linux_Thin_Clients.pdf

0 Kudos
maxmino
Contributor
Contributor

I've the same problem.

Thin OS 6.3.0.12, if i connect to XP with the same thin client but not with embedded VDM client the color depth is ok (24bit), with embedded VDM client the max color depth is 16bit

Anyone has solved this issue ?

Massimo

0 Kudos
VDIWannabe007
Contributor
Contributor

I have finally got the information to resolve this issue however you need to perform a firmware update - this firmware update does solve other issues i was also experiencing with the 6.0.12 firmware version.

By default, using Windows XP as a virtual desktop, the desktop color depth in a remote

session will be 15bit. There are two ways to increase the color depth for a more true color

experience.

1. You can set the color depth to 24bit, by editing the following registry key in the XP

VM:

Open up the Registry Editor (Start -> Run -> regedit) and navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp

Change "color depth" to 4.

Reboot Windows XP to have the change take effect.

Then set sessionconfig=rdp defaultcolor=2 in the wnos.ini file

Make sure you are using 6.3.016 for this to work

0 Kudos
cbarr221
Contributor
Contributor

Where did you get 6.3.016 the most current version I see in their webiste is 6.3012

0 Kudos