VMware Cloud Community
tlee00
Contributor
Contributor

Problem installing Windows 2000 on ESX 3.5 u2 on shared SAN using Lsi controller or Bus logic controller

Hi,

I'm trying to install w2k sp1 to ESX 3.5 u2 on a shared SAN (HP EVA 6000) using Lsi and Bus logic controller and neither of them is working.

With Lsi controller, it asked for a driver. So I downloaded the drivers (lsi20230) from here and provided the path during the initial setup and it errored out with a blue screen and saying "stop 0x0000007B" I looked up this error code and it means missing SCSI driver.

As for the Bus logic controller, it installs okay except the virtual machine is very slow. It took three hours to install w2k and even after the installation, there are lots of errors in the system log: event id: 9, 11, 15 and 51. The errors mean due to slow perf on SAN but our SAN is only utiized 25% at any given time. So I'm wondering if this is a driver issue or something else. If I were to install w2k on ESX 3.5 local vmfs using Bus logic controller, it installs fine without any problem.

Has anyone had any problems like these?

Thanks in advance!

Event ID 11 - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0.

Event ID 15 - The device, \Device\Scsi\symmpi1, is not ready for access yet.

Event ID 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 during a paging operation.

http://www.lsi.com/obsolete/lsi20320_3157.html?locale=EN&remote=1

0 Kudos
8 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

See here: at the bottom are the scsi drivers and two versions.

Use these drivers in a flp image, and you should be good to go.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

I believe you need to select the lsi drivers using the floppy image and installing them before windows installation.

Regards

Anil

Save the planet, Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

0 Kudos
tlee00
Contributor
Contributor

You mean in the beginning when the setup asks to press F6 to provide the

drivers? I already downloaded Lsi20320 for w2k and created *.flp image

and still getting 0x7B error.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Use the drivers from the link I posted. They should work better than the drivers directly from LSI. Then, yes, you will have to use F6 to provide the driver floppy.

-KjB

0 Kudos
tlee00
Contributor
Contributor

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

By default, when you install w2k from CD, it will install Bus logic controller and this is of course if you create a VM with Bus logic controller selected.

The Bus logic controller however, becomes VMware SCSCI controller when VMware tools is installed.

I did re-install w2k on a VM (Bus logic controller) yesterday and I did not receive event id 9, 11, 15 or 51 anymore. I'm suspecting that maybe that was one time error and SAN is okay so far.

But I want to use Lsi controller, can I still use the same VMware SCSI driver?

The drivers from the link is for VMare SCSI controller.

Thanks in advance.

tlee00

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

The link is for a floppy image for the install-time driver. It may not be needed after you've already installed the OS, but if you switch at this point, you may not be able to boot. You should be able to back out the change, if you change from buslogic to lsilogic, and find that blue screen.

-KjB

0 Kudos
tlee00
Contributor
Contributor

So it sounds like you can't install W2k with Lsi controller on a vm. Is

that right?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

You can use the driver, and it's cleaner to specify when you do the install using the image I posted earlier. You can use that floppy image to load the drivers. The exact type of controller may not be the same as the driver you downloaded earlier. So, install the driver, then try to change over to lsilogic. If allis well, then you are done.

-KjB

0 Kudos