VMware Cloud Community
cionica
Contributor
Contributor

cannot run/install 64bit OS on PowerEdge 1850 w/ ESXi 3.5

I have ESXi 3.5.0, 123629 runing on a PowerEdge 1850 (latest bios).

I am tring to install Win Server 2008 64bit as a vistual host on ESXi but i get an error msg: "Attempting to load a 64bit application, however this CPU is not compatible with 64bit mode". I can install Vista 64bit and Server 2008 64bit with no problems directly on the hardware, but not thru ESXi.

Any 32bit OS runs fine on ESXi.

Any ideas on how to get a 64bit OS running?

thanks.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
IndyESXi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just for clarification, do you mean "virtual host", or "virtual guest" ?

The ESXi platform is the base Operating System, and as such acts as the host for all other "guests" that are then installed.

Is the processor in the 1850 a dual core proc? If not, do you have Hyperthreading turned on? This is done in the BIOS, and could be causing the problems.

Just a couple of suggestions...

0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

Your CPU needs to support Intel VT Technology. The PowerEdge 1850s had a couple different lines of processors. I have some of the earlier 1850s that do not have processors with Intel VT Support. Some of the later ones do support VT. You can check in the BIOS - go into the CPU configuration and there should be an option to enable Virtualization Technology. If this option is not present, you don't have CPUs that support VT and you cannot run 64-bit O/Ss on ESX/ESXi.

0 Kudos
cionica
Contributor
Contributor

i have 2 dual core processors. and yes i was refering to virtual guest (for server 2008).

0 Kudos
vrtm
Contributor
Contributor

Did you find a solution for this problem?

I have the samme issue, though on an IBM x3650, ESX3.5i U2 running fine, but I can not install any 64 bit OS.

VT technology is enabled in bios, and i re-created virtual machines after enabling it. Still no go.

I have seen this problem described elsewhere, but no solution other than enabling VT.

Cheers,

RTM

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Community forums. What guest OS are you trying to install? You might want to check that paravirtualization is disabled for the VM (see advanced settings).

0 Kudos
vrtm
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried both Windows server 2008 x64 and 2003 x64 with same result.

Paravirtualization is disabled.

I have also tried Automatic, Forced and Forbid settings on the Virtualized MMU with same result.

Are there the samme issues with ESX STD or ENT?

/RTM

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

The licensed edition of ESXi should not be a factor here. This link has a bootable ISO image to check the CPU capabilities - http://www.vmware.com/download/shared_utilities.html. You might want to boot with it to ensure that the VT options is being reported as being enabled.

0 Kudos
vrtm
Contributor
Contributor

That gave some very interesting information.

The report said that the CPUs are not identical, I bought the server with two identical CPUs E5420, but it seems the stepping is not identical.

The CPUID reported that VT is not supported on non identical CPUs.

I guess I will have to take this up with the server reseller.

Thank you for the help.

Best regards,

RTM

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

There may be a BIOS upgrade to address this issue. I know that Intel has released a microcode patch that makes some steppings downgrade their VT revision to that of the boot processor.

0 Kudos