VMware Communities
mkrisch
Contributor
Contributor

Can I get a document in a Windows virtual machine to open Word on my Mac?

I'm playing with Shared Applications and I know how to get my Mac to open apps in the virtual machine, but i can't seem to go in the other direction. I want to open Word on my Mac from the VM, instead of Word 2007. Is this possible? The Default App configuration just offers Mail and Web links and the like.

Thanks.

--Mark

0 Kudos
2 Replies
borisdusek
Expert
Expert

1. Make Word the default app for word documents on the Mac (in Finder, right-click a document, "Get Info", there expand "Open With", select the Mac's Word you want to use, then click "Change all..." (this will change file associations of all .doc files)

2. make sure apps from host are shared with guest: Fusion menubar > Virtual machine > Settings > Sharing > check "Allow the virtual machine to open...".

3. In the virtual machine, right-click a Word document, select "Properties", in the "Opens with" section, click the "Change..." button, and select the "Default host application" with the blue round squares VMware logo from the list, and check "Always use the selected program...". Click the OKs.

Note that the document will have to be present in a Shared folder for this to work.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Note that the document will have to be present in a Shared folder for this to work.

Just to be clear this has to be a VMware Shared Folder and not a normal Network Shared Folder in order to utilize this feature of Fusion 2.

0 Kudos