VMware Communities
aarden
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Support for AutoCAD 3D?

Has anybody heard if there are plans to offer 3D acceleration support for AutoCAD (2009)? I'm using a new unibody MacBook Pro, and at present hardware acceleration is disabled in AutoCAD. The performance tuner log can't read any settings off the Nvidia card:

3D Device

-

Name :

Manufacturer :

Chip set :

Memory : MB

Driver :

Thanks for any information!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

AutoCAD specifically turns off 3D support for our video device. We're looking at this internally.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The performance tuner log can't read any settings off the Nvidia card:

That's expected - the guest does not see the actual hardware. Have you installed Tools and enabled 3D acceleration?

0 Kudos
aarden
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I installed VMware Tools, and 3D acceleration was already turned on in the virtual machine settings. I changed the MBP's Energy Saver Graphics to "Higher performance" to turn on the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, and rebooted the laptop. I turned off the virtual machine and rebooted it. When I restarted AutoCAD 2009 it still wouldn't let me turn the hardware acceleration on.

If AutoCAD can't see the hardware, I wonder if it will ever be possible to get it to use hardware acceleration...

0 Kudos
NeilBlanchard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

How is the image quality in 2D -- do entities in the drawing area look as good as the menus?

Sincerely, Neil

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

AutoCAD specifically turns off 3D support for our video device. We're looking at this internally.

0 Kudos
aarden
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

2D display looks fine.

I upgraded my copy of Parallels to the latest version, and AutoCAD recognizes the (virtual) graphics card and turns on 3D acceleration, so it must be possible.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
casolorz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Any updates on this problem?

Autodesk design review works better in 3D for me if I tell it to use Software (opengl) than if I select directx.

0 Kudos
DarkAngelPT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This issue is marked as resolved, yet the problem still happens in 2.0.2 and we have no news about he situation and if it will be resolved.

0 Kudos
casolorz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I switched my design review (not full autocad) to using opengl software and its a bit slow but at least it shows me things with the right textures.

0 Kudos