VMware Communities
CaptainLeonidas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMworkstation 6.5.1 and Intel i7 Core processors

Just wondering if this version of VMware does run with an Intel i7 Core when it is not set to a default clockspeed.

From what I am told the Intel i7 Core has the ability to up it's clockspeed according to the CPU load applied by applications etc.

Will this on the fly adjusting of CPU clockspeed affect the virtual cpu in any way?

I have no access to my new computer yet so I cant tell myself:

Intel i7 965 Extreme Edition

6 GB DDR3 RAM

Vista Business x64

Intel DX58SO

Club3D ATI 4870 (1GB DDR5 VRAM)

Thoughs?

VMware Workstation 7.x User VMware ESXi 3.5.x/4.x Admin
0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

In most cases VMware runs best when you disable all features that change CPU-speed.

> Will this on the fly adjusting of CPU clockspeed affect the virtual cpu in any way?

Yes - sure - for example you can expect problems when resuming VMs that were suspended with different CPU-speed ... things like that ...

f

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
ksc
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The newest batches of processors (including Intel i7 Core) are much better about timekeeping - they have TSCs that advance at constant rates regardless of power settings and all the other nonsense that used to make timekeeping hard. Which is to say, the guest OS isn't going to get as confused on your processor as it would on previous processors.

When you start up a VM, the vCPU may "feel" slow because the pCPU is slow, but once the host OS sees the load and brings the pCPU to full speed, the vCPU will "feel" fast again without any action from the guest. Running your VM would feel just like running a web browser, or any other application.

0 Kudos