VMware Communities
SionL
Contributor
Contributor

Ethernet controller driver not found for Windows XP x64 (bit)

I recently created a Windows XP x64 VM using Version 2.0 (116369) and installed the VMWare Tools. When viewing the Device Manger I can see that an Ethernet Controller (device) has been found, but is displayed with a question mark, i.e. it's waiting for a driver to be installed. So I tried installing the default driver that came with the Windows installer but the OS complained and it did not work and then I tried installing drivers that come with Boot Camp. Finally I've also tried repairing and re-installing the VMWare Tools.

My questions are:

1. Does VMware Fusion support Windows XP x64?

2. Where can I locate the driver for the Ethernet Controller?

Kind regards,

Siôn

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SionL
Contributor
Contributor

Since sumbmiting the previous poste Ive tried two things:

1. Downloaded and installed 2.0.1 version of VMWare

2. Creation / installation a new Win XP x64 VM making sure that I chose the correct version with WMWare and not the normal Windows XP (32 bit) set up.

And now I have a network device with driver!

Cool all sorted Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
msplines
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same thing installing under Vista, plus my airport internet was disconnected by the install and the tools said they were installing, but they were not, so I (eventually) stopped the "install" and restarted manually plus 2 repair attempts. if I can stand the risk, I might try again using the 64 bit set for Vista and see if that does the trick.

0 Kudos