VMware Communities
mjohnson1212
Contributor
Contributor

2.0.1 Clipboard, drag/drop not working after upgrading fusion 2.0 xp pro sp3 vm

I've attached the log files for vmware tools.

Thanks for the help,

Mark

0 Kudos
13 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

For clarity, you have tried uninstalling Tools/rebooting the guest/installing Tools?

0 Kudos
slogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thank you Mark. And when this problem happens, you see both vmwareservice.exe (a service) and vmwareuser (a regular process) if you use task monitor to list services and processes? From the logs, I am not seeing any evidence that either has crashed or exited.

If either process crashed, it may have left a "dmp" (dump) file in %system%\minidump or perhaps some other location.

A dmp file would be enormously helpful -- essentially the way to get a dmp file is to enable drwatson on windows, and then configure it to generate a minidump file.

See http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2007/06/15/capturing-application-crash-dumps.aspx for information on how to do it, in summary:

c:\> drwtsn32 -i

c:\ drwtsn32

and then set (or change) the dump file path, and make sure the checkboxes are checked as in the screenshot on the above link. Then, restart Windows, duplicate the problem, and then see if a dmp file was generated (it should fit as an attachment here, but if not, we can arrange to have you send it to me directly at vmware.).

Thanks again,

syd

Message was edited by: slogan

0 Kudos
mjohnson1212
Contributor
Contributor

I tried uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling vmware tools and rebooting and it still doesn't work.

I have vmwareservice.exe service running and a wmwaretray.exe running but not a wmwareuser.exe.

0 Kudos
slogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Ok, so that implies we have a crashed vmwareuser.exe. It would be really awesome if we could get a crash dump from you, because without it, it is going to be very hard to identify where in vmwareuser this is happening. Would it be possible for you to try enabling crash dumps with Dr. Watson, as described in my previous response (before doing that, you might search for and *.dmp files on your disk that were generated at the same time you tested, perhaps you already are generating crash dumps)?

Feel free to email me directly (slogan@vmware.com) from this point on if you have questions, or to send the dmp file(s).

Thanks,

syd

0 Kudos
mjohnson1212
Contributor
Contributor

I turned on Dr watson and rebooted but I don't have a dmp file in the directory I specified.

Do I need to manually kick off the .exe?

0 Kudos
mjohnson1212
Contributor
Contributor

I do however see .dmp files in the Documents and settings\<userid>\ApplicationData\Vmware folder.

Is this what you need?

0 Kudos
slogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sure, you can try that:

- cd to c:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools in a cmd window

- type .\vmwareuser

0 Kudos
slogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, that is what we need. Could you zip them up, and send to slogan@vmware.com?

Thanks

0 Kudos
mjohnson1212
Contributor
Contributor

All of them? or just the one with the latest date/time?

0 Kudos
slogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

All if you can. Could be that the actual crash is in different places (for example, memory is corrupt but later in execution something is affected by the corruption), and so the more info, the better.

If size is a problem for whatever reason, they don't need to be sent all in the same zip, but my chances of identifying the problem will be better if I can look at them all.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help here.

syd

0 Kudos
mjohnson1212
Contributor
Contributor

ok, I zipped them all up and emailed them to you.

0 Kudos
bwklein
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem and have emailed slogan the dmp files.

-Bryan

0 Kudos
slogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Ok, so, the dmp files definitely have helped. We are looking into the problem at this point, and I am communicating with a couple of you for additional data outside of this post.

Thanks for all the help so far.

syd

0 Kudos