VMware Communities
jandubois
Contributor
Contributor

Ctrl-Click/Shift-Click broken by key remapping

When I use any keymapping that assigns uses the Ctrl modifier (e.g. Ctrl-F12 -> Shift-F12), then Ctrl-Click and Shift-Click will no longer work (to do multiple selections in a Windows XP host). When I delete the key mapping (or even just disable it by removing its checkmark) then the Ctrl and Shift modifiers for the mouse click start working again.

This happens with both Fusion 2.0 and 2.01. I have the OS X mouse shortcuts disabled in the Fusion preferences setting of the same profile.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
markshel
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Apologies for the trouble you are having with the keyboard on Fusion. I understand what is going wrong in this case. Unfortunately there is currently no workaround, other then to disable the keybindings as you discovered. I have filed bug 351331 to track this issue, but I can not comment on when we might be able to provide you a solution for this. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

0 Kudos
PeterHartman
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for this post. I was baffled to find I could suddenly no longer "shift select" files in the explorer. Quite annoying to find out after spending an hour or so it is Fusion keyboard mapping.

0 Kudos
bgaspers
Contributor
Contributor

This is BS, VMware! Key remapping is one of your touted features in 2.0 ("Seamless Keyboard Mapping", http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/features.html). I'd hardly call breaking the shift key "seamless".

I hope this is near the top of the priority fix list. I find myself often frustrated due to this bug.

0 Kudos
tompark
Contributor
Contributor

FWIW, I'd like to vote for fixing this too.

0 Kudos
rdouma
Contributor
Contributor

Indeed I'd also like to vote for (a solution to Smiley Wink this bug. It's really, really annoying.

0 Kudos
DannoXYZ
Contributor
Contributor

The really annoying thing is that my captured virtual-machines has upper-case letters in the Administrator password. I can't even log into my VM to change the password without the shift key working!!!

0 Kudos
bgaspers
Contributor
Contributor

I think you misunderstand the bug that is being referred to here. It isn't that the shift key doesn't work at all, it's that using it with the control key modifier or a mouse click doesn't work (and still doesn't, when are you going to fix this, VMware?). This means you can't select a contiguous block of text by putting the cursor at the beginning, holding down shift, and then clicking at the end.

0 Kudos
bgaspers
Contributor
Contributor

Hey, VMware: This bug still isn't fixed in 2.0.5. If I enable key remapping, the ability to shift-click goes away. Disable key remapping, I get it back.

0 Kudos
JimRoyal
Contributor
Contributor

I just discovered this bug myself, today, using Fusion 2.0.5. Took almost two hours to figure out that key remapping was the cause.

Please bump up the priority of this bug. It is a small thing but terribly annoying.

0 Kudos
bgaspers
Contributor
Contributor

Still not fixed in 2.0.6 beta 1...

0 Kudos
bgaspers
Contributor
Contributor

Yay! Fusion 3 finally fixes this!

0 Kudos
ktiz
Contributor
Contributor

Yay! Fusion 3 finally fixes this!

Maybe. But Fusion 3 is pitifully slow as you can see in many other threads. I went to 3 and am now back with 2 where this problem has reared its ugly head again.

0 Kudos
bgaspers
Contributor
Contributor

No Fusion 3 performance complaints here. Runs as fast as 2 for me.

0 Kudos
ktiz
Contributor
Contributor

Good for you. Many others are expressing problems. Hope it stays fast for you.

0 Kudos
KillTheMomos
Contributor
Contributor

Did Fusion 3 fix the shift-click issue by disabling key mapping? No matter what I set for key mapping, there is no observable change to the way the VM responds to the keyboard. Its as if the key mapping preferences never existed.

0 Kudos
bgaspers
Contributor
Contributor

No, my key mapping works fine and shift-click is working. Whereas before in Fusion 2 I had to disable key mapping to get shift-click to work.

0 Kudos