VMware Communities
MichM
Contributor
Contributor

VMware 6.5, Ubuntu 8.10, no sound: /dev/dsp device or resource busy

Hello,

I (and not just me) have some troubles to get sound working on VMware 6.5 on Ubuntu 8.10 (Guest OS is Win XP but that should not matter).

When i boot up my VM, I get always the Message: Failed to open sound device /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy

/dev/dsp exists (and also /dev/dsp1), both does not work. Settings the sound device to "Auto detect" does not work either.

The sound on my Ubuntu machine works without any errors.

Is there any solution to get this work?

Michael

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vijayshankar
Contributor
Contributor

I also had same problem, ubuntu 8.10 64 bit host and windows xp guest. I followed the following three steps given in http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-331175.html . Sound works now!

- sudo apt-get install paprefs

- preferences - Pulse audio prefs - check all the squares

- loggin' off and on again

Try it out.. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
LudvikJerabek
Contributor
Contributor

There is a really simple solution to this which has worked for me every time on Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10. Instead /dev/dsp or /dev/dsp1 use /dev/audio this works without issue.

Regards,

Lu

0 Kudos
tonkajeep34
Contributor
Contributor

Any update on this? on 8.04 i could use /dev/dsp and that would work. now with 8.10 nothing.

Also the /dev/audio does not work.

0 Kudos
LudvikJerabek
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting my audio still works using /dev/audio. What type of audio card are you using and are you using alsa? If you have any other details please list them. Maybe you can send the output from an lsmod and lspci. I am running VMware Workstation 6.5.1 build-126130 with no issues.

0 Kudos