VMware Cloud Community
RogerAli
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Capacity Planner Network Ports

Hey all,

We had a vendor in recently to setup VMWare's Capacity Planner in our environment (university). We are trying to capture data from 3-4 different domains all with strict ACL restrictions on the network. While he was able to setup the software, we were unable to capture any data due to connectivity to the nodes on each subnet. Is there a list of ports that I can use to open the necessary ports Capacity Planner uses for capturing/collecting it's data?

Thanks,

Roger

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Is there a list of ports that I can use to open the necessary ports Capacity Planner uses for capturing/collecting it's data?

Shouldn't the vendor know the requirements for the data capture? I found this, but I don't know if it's correct

Requirements

• One dedicated server to act as a data

manager. This server will collect all the

required data (Windows Server 2003)

• Root and administrator system access

• Data manager port access for 22, 135 – 139

443 and 445

0 Kudos
richardhale
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

there is a Capacity Planner security white paper that lists all the ports (basically the same as Troy listed)

I have also listed the requirements sent by our vendor when we recently ran capacity planner.

Finally, we created a script to check WMI access to all our servers from the Data Manager server before installing Capacity Planner. This ensured when the guys came in to install we had already resolved any connection issues.

Hope this helps

Richard

System requirements for VMware Capacity Planner Data Manager host system:

• Windows 2000 Server or Professional, Windows XP Professional, or Windows

• Server 2003

• Must be ENGLISH versions of Windows

• Must have Windows firewall deactivated (Windows XP SP2)

• Minimum 1 GHz CPU

• Minimum 512MB RAM

• Minimum 2GB of free disk space

Network Bandwidth

• Bandwidth traffic impact is minimal, never exceeding 2000 bytes/second and in most cases averaging 500 bytes/second

Additional requirements / considerations

• User ID, password, and port numbers for the proxy server (if required)

• User account for installation and running the Data Manager service.

• Must have local administrator privileges on the VMware Capacity Manager Data Manager host system.

• We recommend the account is local and not a domain account.

• Must have the privilege to log on as a service

• Service must be configured to start automatically

• Network connectivity between the VMware Capacity Planner Data Manager host system and systems to be analyzed.

• Ports 135, 137, 138, 139, and 445 must be open The data synchronization process sends data via SSL (port 443). Any firewall between the data collector and the internet must allow these connections to pass. The use of a proxy server with account name and password can be configured.

• Global connection accounts

• For data collection, we need a local or domain administrator account credentials on all target servers. Account credentials must be entered into the system by hand. We recommend that the customer administrators themselves enter in account information to avoid security issues; the user accounts and passwords are stored encrypted in a database local to the VMware Capacity Planner Data Manager (collector) installation.

• If there are a large number of accounts, the effort necessary to enter account credentials and troubleshoot related connectivity issues could take a considerable amount of the onsite time. Encourage the customer to provide a domain administrator account or a single account that has local administrator rights on servers to be analyzed.

0 Kudos