VMware Cloud Community
jdedwards
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi Hangs during Installation on Dell PowerEdge T605

When trying to install the latest release of VMware ESXi on a New Dell PowerEdge T605, it hangs during the installation on module sata.svw about midway through the installation. Any suggestions on a work around for this issue? Below is a summary of the system purchased. Please reply with any help to edwardsj@leonardisd.net

Regards,

J Edwards

PowerEdge T605

Quad Core AMD OpteronTM 2350, 2.0GHz, 1Ghz HyperTransport

T65Q20

Additional Processor

Quad Core AMD OpteronTM 2350, 2.0GHz, 1Ghz HyperTransport

2PQ20

Memory

12GB DDR2, 667MHz, 6x2GB Dual Ranked DIMMs

12G6D6D

Keyboards, Mice, Displays and Related Devices

No Keyboard or Mouse Selected

NONE

TCP/IP Offload Engine Enablement

LOM NIC is TOE Ready

TOE

Primary Hard Drive

146GB 15k RPM Serial-Attach SCSI 3Gbps 3.5-in Cabled Hard Drive

146A15

Primary Controller

SAS 6iR SAS internal RAID adapter, PCI-Express

SAS6IRC

Floppy Drive

1.44MB Floppy Drive, Internal, Black

FD

Network Card

Embedded Single Broadcom$#174; NetXtreme II 5708 Gigabit Ethernet NIC

OBNIC

Optional Internal Optical Drive

16x DVD+/-RW Drive, Internal, SATA

16XDVRW

Documentation

Electronic Documentation and OpenManage DVD Kit

EDOCS

Hard Drive Configuration

Add-in SAS 6/iR SATA/SAS Controller, No RAID, 1-4 Cabled Hard Drives

ASC

Drive Cage Configuration

Chassis with Cabled Hard Drives

CHCBNR

Power Supply

Redundant Power Supply, No Cord

RPSNC

O/S Partitions

40GB Microsoft OS Partition Override

40GBPAR

Power Cord

2x Power Cords, 110 volt, NEMA 5-15 Wall Plug to C14, 15 amps, 10 feet / 3m

2WL10FT

[310-8509]

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums - according to the Systems HCL-[http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi35_systems_guide.pdf] - T605 is not supported. This of course does not mean it would not work - I would look at installing a supported i/o card -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking it helpful or correct -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums - according to the Systems HCL-[http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi35_systems_guide.pdf] - T605 is not supported. This of course does not mean it would not work - I would look at installing a supported i/o card -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking it helpful or correct -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
jdedwards
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply and resources. I believe the problem to be the sata dvd-rom; I'm going to try installing an IDE or USB CD-ROM and see if that helps resolve this hang. I encourage others to express their thoughts and I will keep all posted when I'm able to successfully install ESXi on this T605. Minor issues can cause big headaches. Once again, thank you for your input and others, please keep your thoughts flowing in. Thanks! J Edwards

0 Kudos
jdedwards
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Follow-up: Changing the SATA to IDE DVD-ROM did the trick; installed without a hitch. I look forward to learning what ESXi can do for us now. Thanks for your help. J Edwards

0 Kudos
DeanWesterberg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks jdedwards! Your solution worked for me! I pulled out the SATA DVD-ROM and installed a IDE CD-ROM from a old workstation and it works great!

I was even able to use the RAID card and am up and running on mirrored drives!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
philja
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My first thought was that my DVD drive in T605 is not SATA, but I have opened case anyway and what I see is that DVD drive is SATA.

So i have followed above advice and that was the fix. After ESXi was installed i have connect DVD drive back but it stop boot again with the same message.

So DVD need to be unplugged for all time before and after installation.

0 Kudos
peterfilardo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does that mean a SATA optical will not work, period? What about with 3.5 u4?

0 Kudos