VMware Horizon Community
ify
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual center cannot start:error event id 1000

The description for Event ID ( 1000 ) in Source cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: age3.exe; 4.105.919.3236; age3.exe; 4.105.919.3236; 00013caf.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

have a look at this KB http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1004274 it may be helpful

0 Kudos
ify
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, but we are using a different database.

0 Kudos
SteveR55
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same difficulty. After a reboot, the VirtualCenter server fails to start with the error Event ID 1000. My VirtualCenter server and SQL express 2005 server reside on the same machine. I have altered the registry as suggested in article #

I have also ensured that my ODBC datasource for the VirtualCenter server is using the SQL native client. I have successfully tested this connection. I do have McAfee viruscan installed on the machine, but all related services are set to manual mode and the server has been rebooted with the same results. The SQL server database service starts successfully after the reboot.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
mdwasim
Contributor
Contributor

Even I am facing the same problem, recently I have updated the vCenter OS windows 2003 completely, along with SQL Express is also updated. while the updates were going on suddenly vcenter service went down..

I do have mcafee antivirus, when i try to restart service manually, I see that mcafee scan engine is getting active and red.. on checking, it shows error on "vpxd.exe could be stopped"..

I dont have IIS installed on vCenter server, SQL is on the same server.

I removed vCenter and reinstalled.. will check if this fix something for me.

0 Kudos
nickparrott
Contributor
Contributor

I have encountered the same issue, and found that it was simply down to host resources. It may not be THE fix, but certainly fixed my issue!

- W2008 x64 R2, vCenter 4.0 build 4.0.0.7797 with SQL Express locally installed

- Initially, my vCenter VM was running with 2GB RAM (on vSphere 4.0) and upon boot, the vpxd (aka 'VMware VirtualCenter Server) was starting ok.

I reduced RAM to 512Mb (my vCenter is only handling a single ESX host and a handful of VMs...) and upon reboot, the vpxd service doesn't start and I get an EventID 1000, with no detail about why the service failed to start.

Prior to reviewing logs further, I decided to increase the Windows global service timeout value (initially 30s, increased to 90s) and upon reboot, the service started no problem! See for further details. I've applied this fix on 2003 and 2008, both x86 and x64, for a number of different 'service starting issues'.

Due to a smaller amount of system memory, all services start slower, and I guess that the vpxd service suffered the same issue. Try this before doing anything else, as it's a quick fix and may be the root cause of the issue.

Granted, the vCenter requirements state that you need many more resources available, however on a heavily loaded system (even with 4 or 8Gb of RAM) it's possible that other services are using large chunks of memory, so you could be in a similar position. You will be required to reboot after the change, but you often need to do that to test the fix ayway.

Regards,

Nick

0 Kudos