VMware Communities
benblo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"Invalid URI: The hostname could not be parsed"

Hey!

Just recently switched from network share to mirrored folders, and I have an error when opening Visual Studio projects on such a mirrored folder: "Invalid URI: The hostname could not be parsed".

The weird thing is, Visual Studio has no problem opening individual files, or even solutions, but only the projects inside those solutions (or projects opened on their own).

I'm guessing it doesn't like the path, which looks like "
.host\Shared Folders\bla bla bla\my project.csproj", because it tries to treat it as a URI... so thumbs down for VS, but now that I think about it, it's also a very weird idea on VMware's part to name a host ".host"! Is it so that it will appear hidden in Finder?

Before someone asks, mapping a networked drive (eg Z:\ =
.host\Shared Folders\
) does not work for me, because I want to be able to double click a file in Finder and have VS recognize it as part of the project... Finder-opened files are directed to Windows as +
.host\Shared Folders\+, so if the project is opened from Z:\, the paths don't match.

Putting a dot in the name is weird enough, but putting it at the begining is just broken: who ever saw a domain name begining by a dot! I know it's supposed to be a SMB name and not a domain name, but lots of programs these days treat any resource as a URI. I just tried to make a blank HTML file in my mirrored documents folder: Firefox can open it (although the URL it ends up with is file://///.host/Shared%20Folders/Documents/test.html : now that's an awful lot of / !!), but Internet Explorer chokes with an error similar to Visual Studio (file://.host/Shared%20Folders/Documents/test.html cannot be found)... did this really slip through the beta??

Edit: forgot to even ask my question: is there a way to rename the hostname that Fusion create? Say from ".host" to "mymac" or whatever? Or any other kind of workaround to this problem, really...

Cheers,

Ben

PS: I am currently in the process of kicking myself severely for not testing this during the beta...

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mudaltsov
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is Visual Studio unable to open the
.host\ paths even if you do it from Windows Explorer? I would blame Visual Studio for not coping with our HGFS UNC paths, since practically everything else works. Of course there may be some issue with the HGFS file system driver that contributes to it as well...

But the aspect of opening files using shared apps can definitely be improved. The current mapping for opening files via shared applications is done to "
.host\Shared Folders", as you noticed. We may be able to change it to use the mapped drive letter in a future update, but I can't promise anything. The drive letter is not always Z:, and not everyone has the mapped drive letter present, so it's not a trivial change to do.

As a workaround, if you always have Z:\ for Shared Folders, you can use a hex editor and change the path that is used for mapping the file location Smiley Happy

DISCLAIMER: While this shouldn't affect anything besides the shared folder path mapping, I'm not responsible for anything that happens to your VM or shared files. Do this at your own risk!

1. Make a copy of C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\VMwareUser.exe and open it in a hex editor.

2. Go to offset 0931F0, it should say *
.host\Shared Folders\* or 5C 5C 2E 68 6F 73 74 5C 53 68 61 72 65 64 20 46 6F 6C 64 65 72 73 5C 00 in hex.

3. Change it to Z:\<NUL>....<NUL> or 5A 3A 5C 00 ... 00 in hex. The in-between data shouldn't matter since it's a NUL-terminated string, but I would fill it in with NULs just to be safe. Be careful not to add or delete any bytes from the actual file, just overwrite existing ones (most hex editors have a strict "overwrite" mode).

4. Rename the original VMwareUser.exe to something else like VMwareUser2.exe (normally it's in use since it's running).

5. Place the modified version of VMwareUser.exe into C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\

6. Log out and log back in to Windows, and enjoy.

Looking at our code, that string is only used for mapping the shared folder paths when you open files, as well as browsing to the shared folder in Explorer using Virtual Machine -> Shared Folders or the Status Bar in Fusion. Both of them seem to work correctly for me after the change, but again, I'm not responsible for any possible mistakes, since we're dealing with editing an executable, not our source code.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
xe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Does this resolve your issue?

Source: Release notes - VMware Fusion ( ).

• Internet Explorer in Vista virtual machine can't find the path to a file on the Mac host.
    If you attempt to open an HTML file on the Mac host using Internet
    Explorer 7 in a Vista guest (either by setting the file to open with
    Internet Explorer as a shared application or by double-clicking on the
    file in a shared folder from the virtual machine), Internet Explorer
    launches, but displays an alert saying it can't find the path to the
    file. This is the result of the Vista/Internet Explorer default
    security settings. To make opening the file work, "Protected Mode" must
    be disabled for the local intranet zone, and
    .host needs to be added to the list of safe sites.

Workaround:

1. Open Internet Explorer, go to Tools &gt; Internet Options.

2. Click the Security tab and select the Local intranet zone (not Internet).

3. Click Sites, then Advanced, type
      .host and click Add, then Close and OK.

4. Back in the Local intranet settings, deselect Enable Protected Mode.

5. Click OK, and accept the warning, "The current security settings will put your computer at risk," by clicking OK again.

6. Close Internet Explorer to apply the change.

• Internet Explorer will now open files from
    .host correctly.

benblo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nop, it does not... it did fix IE (I don't care much since I never use it), but Visual Studio still chokes on the URI. I guess it doesn't share IE's settings.

Yours was still a great tip though, at least it got me rid of the annoying "do you want to copy/move files from this zone" warning, yay!

Since this morning another program (Reflector) failed to work (it's a standalone program in a subfolder of my Visual Studio files). It crashes on load when called from
.host, but I just changed my shortcut to call it from my mapped drive (Z:), and it loads ok. But if I open files from it browsing through "my documents", it fails to open them... I have to go to Z: again, and then it work, but I lose the benefit of easy browsing...

So if anyone knows a way to rename the hostname, I'm still listening.

0 Kudos
xe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm fairly certain that the path is hard-coded in the HGFS driver.. I haven't seen any method of modifying it. It's similar to what's been used in Workstation and Server for a long time (it's also used with Linux guests)

What I can suggest is either use the full UNC path to the location (
hostname\sharename) using Windows file sharing, or a drive letter mapping (preferably to the UNC path, but you can use the
.host as well). You can also use a windows shortcut file to it.

If you need to, you can reassign the My Documents folder to another path. Just right-click &gt; Properties. You can assign it a UNC path or a mapped drive letter here.

0 Kudos
benblo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well that's the thing, as I said from the start I can't use either the mapped drive letter nor the UNC name, because when I double-click a file in Finder, Visual Studio "receives" it in the .host format. So if my project has been opened from a mapped or UNC location, Visual Studio won't see the Finder-opened file as part of that project...

0 Kudos
mudaltsov
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

.host\ paths even if you do it from Windows Explorer? I would blame Visual Studio for not coping with our HGFS UNC paths, since practically everything else works. Of course there may be some issue with the HGFS file system driver that contributes to it as well...

But the aspect of opening files using shared apps can definitely be improved. The current mapping for opening files via shared applications is done to "
.host\Shared Folders", as you noticed. We may be able to change it to use the mapped drive letter in a future update, but I can't promise anything. The drive letter is not always Z:, and not everyone has the mapped drive letter present, so it's not a trivial change to do.

As a workaround, if you always have Z:\ for Shared Folders, you can use a hex editor and change the path that is used for mapping the file location Smiley Happy

DISCLAIMER: While this shouldn't affect anything besides the shared folder path mapping, I'm not responsible for anything that happens to your VM or shared files. Do this at your own risk!

1. Make a copy of C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\VMwareUser.exe and open it in a hex editor.

2. Go to offset 0931F0, it should say *
.host\Shared Folders\* or 5C 5C 2E 68 6F 73 74 5C 53 68 61 72 65 64 20 46 6F 6C 64 65 72 73 5C 00 in hex.

3. Change it to Z:\<NUL>....<NUL> or 5A 3A 5C 00 ... 00 in hex. The in-between data shouldn't matter since it's a NUL-terminated string, but I would fill it in with NULs just to be safe. Be careful not to add or delete any bytes from the actual file, just overwrite existing ones (most hex editors have a strict "overwrite" mode).

4. Rename the original VMwareUser.exe to something else like VMwareUser2.exe (normally it's in use since it's running).

5. Place the modified version of VMwareUser.exe into C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\

6. Log out and log back in to Windows, and enjoy.

Looking at our code, that string is only used for mapping the shared folder paths when you open files, as well as browsing to the shared folder in Explorer using Virtual Machine -> Shared Folders or the Status Bar in Fusion. Both of them seem to work correctly for me after the change, but again, I'm not responsible for any possible mistakes, since we're dealing with editing an executable, not our source code.

0 Kudos
benblo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great, an hex hack, I like those Smiley Happy ! It works, too.

I also blame Visual Studio (although it may have advanced options similar to IE, but I doubt it), but I still think the .host scheme is weird.

As I said, Reflector fails too, both on startup and when loading files. Since yesterday I've updated it: it now explicitely says it can't be run from a networked drive, so that's settled. But it is able to open UNC files, yet fails on .host with a System.UriFormatException (see topic title). I believe all .NET apps using URI for file-handling will choke on those too... this is bad since .NET is so common on Windows!

I've now worked around this, I disabled all mirrored folders and manually redirected them to Z:\Ben\Documents/Pictures/Music (using "set location" on Windows Explorer), I think it's much cleaner that way, plus I can mirror more folders, like Videos, Downloads, etc. So this mapping should clearly be at least a vmx parameter (I agree you can't do it automatically).

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

.host\ paths even if you do it from Windows Explorer? I would blame Visual Studio for not coping with our HGFS UNC paths, since practically everything else works.

I have to vehement disagree with the assertion that Visual Studio is to blame or any other product or situation that cannot handle VMware's HGFS! It is no secret that HGFS from it's inception was buggy, problematic and highly flawed and while finally after many years VMware made some real progress improving it in the VMware Tools that shipped with Fusion 2.0 (and other recently released products) however there are still issues!

Although access times using HGFS have improved considerably I'm still finding it slower than using SMB/CIFS.

Also one would think that it should be plainly obvious that \\.host has played a part in some of the problems and why VMware has to use a leading "." (dot), which at least on the surface seems to be the choke point for many of the issue, I've not understood why they haven't moved away from that naming convention.

Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way (although I don't think so) however if I have a scenario that works flawlessly on normal physical computers that are networked together and as an example have no problem opening a file that contain embedded links using the normal standard built in conventions and then without any modifications it breaks under HGFS then I submit that it's HGFS that is at fault!

Or if it's a more complex scenario like the new features in Fusion 2.0 then it is still up to VMware to produce a product that can be used without issues while implementing those features. That's the price of admission, wouldn't you think!?

There is no doubt that Fusion 2.0 is a greatly improved product over 1.x and lots of time, energy, effort and hard work went into it and that's immediately obvious and apparent to anyone that has used 1.x however there is still room for improvement in Fusion 2.0 and I mean with it's existing features not necessarily adding totally new features although that's welcomed too.

0 Kudos
benblo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Glad to see you agree with me regarding that .host madness Smiley Wink !

Although access times using HGFS have improved considerably I'm still finding it slower than using SMB/CIFS.

Wow. Really? That's the whole reason I switched from SMB to HGFS... now you're telling me that I'm gonna get slower access times!? Hmm, now that I think about it, since I did the whole mapped drive thing, I should only have to remap from \ \.host to \ \MACPRO if I do want to switch...

Is there an overview of the whole SMB vs HGFS somewhere? So far I've noticed the troubles of HGFS vs NTFS (creates quite a lot of mess: $RECYCLE.BIN folder, impossible to hide files --like desktop.ini and Thumbs.db), but I don't know if it would behave any better with SMB.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is there an overview of the whole SMB vs HGFS somewhere?

SMB requires a network connection, HGFS doesn't. HGFS requires VMware Tools, SMB doesn't. I would currently expect SMB to be more compatible and faster, while HGFS may be more convenient for novice users.

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi All,

I am one of the developers on HGFS and the shared folders feature who has recently been trying to greatly enhance the robustness and stability of this feature.

I am the first to admit that we still have a lot of issues and it is far from perfect, I personally and other members of the VMware tools team welcome your feedback and any new or existing issues you discover so that we can file internal bugs or update existing bugs with new information. If and when they get resolved we can and will update the forums threads to let the user(s) know that their issues will be resolved in newer releases.

Some of the design decisions for the shared folders feature were made a long time ago, and were made prior to my joining the team and some cause issues in different ways, but we are trying to change them over time, and sometimes these are more difficult than would appear at the surface. Having said that, the ".host" name, was chosen, as far as I am aware, to avoid any clashes with SMB/CIFS, and would be failed by the SMB/CIFS client if it received these requests. One reason for having the shared folders "network" file system, is that it is available when the VM and host is not on the network or networking is disabled. Thus, a user of the VM can still access files and data resident on the host from the VM without using the network stack of the VM. However, if both are enabled, obviously, if we pick a server name that SMB/CIFS understands, it may see and claim that ahead of HGFS and thus all traffic would use that network and SMB/CIFS client instead.

As per performance, yes, much more needs to be done, and is planned to be done in the near future, and no, I am not allowed to commit to any dates, releases on when that will be exactly, but they will be addressed and not ignored.

Ben, could please for information and bug updates, let me know the version of Visual Studio you have installed and are using and the VM OS version?

Thanks.

Steve

Thanks. Steve
0 Kudos
benblo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it!

Steve, what I dislike most with HGFS are file permissions & attributes, very poor compared to NTFS. For example, .DS_Store file appear hidden in Windows Explorer, so the hidden attribute does exist: why can't I apply it to $RECYCLE.BIN? or better yet, why doesn't Windows apply it when the folder is created? I guess it's trying to do it but it doesn't stick. Alternatively, VMTools could handle it in the background. It could also hide that mess OSX-side, so I don't see it in the Finder (it is possible to hide files that don't start by a dot, I found that command somewhere "/Developer/Tools/setfile -a V Documents/\$RECYCLE.BIN/" --requires developer tools installed).

Most of those limitations aren't specific to HGFS, SMB is pretty restricted too... so here's a crazy thought, why is HGFS even a network share? Would it not be possible to make a true filesystem driver (like ext2fs), to provide more direct, richer access to the host hard drive? That would probably be Windows only but I guess that's probably what 99% of Fusion users install. Or if WinFuse ever sees the light of day, it could be a Fuse driver!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Wow. Really? That's the whole reason I switched from SMB to HGFS... now you're telling me that I'm gonna get slower access times!? Hmm, now that I think about it, since I did the whole mapped drive thing, I should only have to remap from \ \.host to \ \MACPRO if I do want to switch...

Shared Folders in Fusion 2.0 are noticeably improved over 1.x however I still at times I see a lag in opening usually one of the top level folders and I never get the same lag when using SMB/CIFS. In 1.x it at times took 10+ seconds to open the share and while it's never taken that long in 2.0 the lag it still there at times, not all the time but just now it took 45 seconds to enter each folder starting at top level of my share point were a few minutes earlier that was no lag transversing the same folders in the same manner and I can immediately try a SMB/CIFS share to a different share that hasn't been hit yet to be fair and there just isn't any lag at all and the behavior is consistent time after time. What irks me is there is no apparent reason for this and because of its randomness it just make it a pain to use VMware Shared Folders when compared to SMB/CIFS and just not having the issue. As far as file transfer timings go there is no doubt there has been improvements in HGFS and if there was never a lag in traversing a share point then I probably say it was faster however if I have to wait 45 second walking down 3 or 4 folders, meaning an additional 12~20 seconds on top of the transfer time, to get to a file to move it one way or the other the improved transfer speed get's canceled out by the traversal lag and as such within my normal usage I find it's just easier and faster to use SMB/CIFS.

Is there an overview of the whole SMB vs HGFS somewhere? So far I've noticed the troubles of HGFS vs NTFS (creates quite a lot of mess: $RECYCLE.BIN folder, impossible to hide files --like desktop.ini and Thumbs.db), but I don't know if it would behave any better with SMB.

I've not seen nor looked for any sort of published overview comparing the two and my take on this is whatever works best for you is what you should use. I also do not like the issues surrounding the new features that expose all what is by design within the OS to be hidden not being kept hidden and it's things like this that make me say while the concept of some of the new features are nice some of the implementations could be considered to be flawed and need improvements.

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your feedback.

So far, as for hidden files, this is a case of making Windows applications such as Explorer hide files that it would not normally hide but Linux/Mac applications like ls or Finder do hide.

Which for integration with those particular hosts, is sometimes asked for by users who are used to those OS platforms and as such are not used to seeing those type of files by default.

E.g. files with a leading dot character. So, for those particular reasons, our Mac/Linux servers return files with a leading dot character as having the "Hidden" attribute set. As such, our

clients, in particular, the Windows client will pass on attributes for those files with the hidden attribute set. Thus, Explorer, by default, will hide those files, unless it is configured to show them.

However, all the other files and types that are not shown by Finder, as not so easy to determine in such a sweeping manner, but could be added to a list of which to return as being hidden.

We just have not done this as yet. It would require a small investigation as to make a comprehensive list of files which would require this.

The downside of doing this, is that those files can never have the hidden attribute removed, as you can from Explorer for other files, since it is always added artificially by the server. Or we

could but then would have to track state for the file which would be a pain, as it would have to be persistent across opens and reboots of the VM.

Anyway, those are just some issues in this area, but we could hide more than just files with a leading dot, which is all we do so far.

As for the HGFS being a network share, and not a true file system, you misunderstand how the shared folders feature works.

Firstly, others have asked this too, but here are some details:

1) vmhgfs.sys in the VM is a fully-fledged legitimate native Windows file system driver and interface. It supports the same file system interface that local file systems provide and support such as NTFS and FAT.

The only difference being is that it presents a network file system interface the same as Microsoft's SMB/CIFS (Lanmanager) mrxsmb.sys does.

2) The reason for doing a network file system in the VM and using shares are that it gives the user the most flexibility of how much or little of the host file system they would like to expose to the VM.

This is a natural fit for shares and how they work, and how we have to share access to files in the VM with file requests from applications on the host at the same time.

3) Making the HGFS file system appear as a local file system would make no difference to the APIs supported or even performance since we would still have to get the data from the host anyway. We cannot grab the host disk as whole thing exclusively and present it as a local disk in the VM as then the host applications would not see it or be able to access it. Fuse and extfs for Windows assume some sort of disk they can mount and have exclusive access too and just read/write the ext3/ext2 file system to that disk. We cannot do that in this scenario.

Secondly, admittedly, we have performance issues with HGFS currently, but they can be overcome with time, and not solved by making it appear as a local file system. They are constrained by the current design and some missing features which we are trying to address in the next few major releases.

Thanks.

Steve

Thanks. Steve
benblo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your feedback.

You're welcome, thanks a lot for your detailed answer! I'm impressed by the community and employees' patience, kudos!

BTW, if I'm talking nonsense or ask too much "but whyyy?" questions, just tell me "because I say so" ;). I'm over-curious sometimes, but I don't pretend to understand everything when it gets really technical!

However, all the other files and types that are not shown by Finder, as not so easy to determine in such a sweeping manner, but could be added to a list of which to return as being hidden.

We just have not done this as yet. It would require a small investigation as to make a comprehensive list of files which would require this.

Well... you could always start by the obvious offenders: $RECYCLE.BIN, desktop.ini and thumbs.db, and refine the list later on. I guess those will bug anyone after 2 minutes using HGFS.

The downside of doing this, is that those files can never have the hidden attribute removed, as you can from Explorer for other files, since it is always added artificially by the server. Or we

could but then would have to track state for the file which would be a pain, as it would have to be persistent across opens and reboots of the VM.

This is what I don't really get, and the reason I said I thought this fs is limited: why can't you "translate" (ie have the fs relay) a Windows attribute into a Finder attribute? I mean, since you can add it artificially for dot files, why can't you do it dynamically?

Even if OSX attributes aren't enough, can't you use OSX metadata --it's extensible right? Maybe that's what you meant by "track the state".

As for the HGFS being a network share, and not a true file system, you misunderstand how the shared folders feature works.

Firstly, others have asked this too, but here are some details:

1) vmhgfs.sys in the VM is a fully-fledged legitimate native Windows file system driver and interface. It supports the same file system interface that local file systems provide and support such as NTFS and FAT.

The only difference being is that it presents a network file system interface the same as Microsoft's SMB/CIFS (Lanmanager) mrxsmb.sys does.

By fully-fledged fs, I meant that it would appear as a hard drive to the host (eg visible in Windows disk manager). I'm not very savvy on those matters, this is just my personal definition... you know, from a user standpoint.

2) The reason for doing a network file system in the VM and using shares are that it gives the user the most flexibility of how much or little of the host file system they would like to expose to the VM.

This is a natural fit for shares and how they work, and how we have to share access to files in the VM with file requests from applications on the host at the same time.

I agree, since we're indeed sharing a folder, it makes more sense.

I guess it depends on what the user is trying to do, how he views his own setup. As for me, I'm looking at (ideally) totally abstracting the OS: I have one machine with resources (my files, a few devices), and a bunch of programs. Those can come from OSX or Windows, I don't care, I don't even wanna know. Same for the files, I'm more looking for total emulation, I don't care who is shared where.

If I could install my Windows programs on HGFS (wouldn't be wise perf-wise), I would, just so I could have Spotlight index them.

3) Making the HGFS file system appear as a local file system would make no difference to the APIs supported or even performance since we would still have to get the data from the host anyway.

Well, that's my point: it does make a difference (not perf-wise, API-wise). For example, Explorer doesn't auto-refresh the content of a folder in a network drive (if I delete/add a file OSX-side, I have to F5 Windows-side).

Also, some programs can tell the difference between a network drive and a normal one. I agree, it's edgy, and quite probably 99.9% of your users don't care.

It's just like the way you emulate a true hard-drive from a vmdk file, or like CD-ROM emulators: the CD has to (and does) appear as a real device, not just mounted as a share. Programs just can't tell the difference (in theory) (and some try hard Smiley Wink).

We cannot grab the host disk as whole thing exclusively and present it as a local disk in the VM as then the host applications would not see it or be able to access it. Fuse and extfs for Windows assume some sort of disk they can mount and have exclusive access too and just read/write the ext3/ext2 file system to that disk. We cannot do that in this scenario.

I understand the difference. So Fusion accesses the drive as a normal host program, and relays the files... but why couldn't this be totally transparent to the VM? Why can't you grab the disk non-exclusively, and still present it as a local disk?

On VMware Workstation, there is the possibility of adding a disk to the VM, stored in a partition instead of a file. I've never tried it: does the host still have access to that partition? I've always wondered why Fusion didn't have this option.

Secondly, admittedly, we have performance issues with HGFS currently, but they can be overcome with time, and not solved by making it appear as a local file system. They are constrained by the current design and some missing features which we are trying to address in the next few major releases.

Eh, so far I haven't noticed the problems that WoodyZ reported.

I tried to copy a large file (700Mb): I got 20-30 Mb/s (as measured by Vista) from SMB, and 50-70 Mb/s from HGFS, so yay, much faster! It could be very different with small files, but I don't have the tools to benchmark it --SuperCopier doesn't work on Vista :(.

I guess my case is special too: I'm a Windows person forced to work on a Mac, so Fusion is more important that OSX for me! Your average user is probably more a home Mac user that wants to play games...?

I'm not a switcher, I still prefer Windows (don't believe Their lies, not everyone switches!), but there are a few things that I like about OSX, and if it was possible I'd install it as a VM on my home PC. With the level of integration Fusion's achieved, I'd nearly be ready to go the other way around (get a Mac and put my PC in it)... maybe with Fusion 3 :smileycool: ?

The goal really is to abstract the OS, I think. For the user, all that matters are the files and programs, the OS doesn't mean anything anymore. Maybe someday we'll be able to have Vista index the hard drive, and replace Spotlight by Windows Search? Or the other way around, whatever floats your boat. Or install Ubuntu and replace the dock with the KDE bar (or whatever it's called).

While I'm talking crazy, I'll go even further: device abstraction. I have an Hercules webcam that doesn't have Mac drivers (and macam gives crappy results), so I plugged it on Windows, and I'm using Skype on Windows instead of OSX. But I still can't use the webcam on OSX programs. What if Fusion could use Windows' drivers and relay it back to OSX? This is probably insane and will make your engineers cry, but from a user point-of-view, that would be so cool! I don't care which OS handles my cam, I just want it available for my programs.

Well... enough dreaming for now! Cheers,

Ben

0 Kudos
benblo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Forgot to answer your previous question Steve, I'm using Visual C# Express 2008 under Vista SP1.

I should upgrade to VS 2008 Standard soon but I doubt it'll make a difference, the "Invalid URI: The hostname could not be parsed" error comes from the UriFormatException: "The format for a valid URI is defined in RFC 2396."

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

On VMware Workstation, there is the possibility of adding a disk to the VM, stored in a partition instead of a file. I've never tried it: does the host still have access to that partition? I've always wondered why Fusion didn't have this option.

I think you're taking about a raw disk - the host does not have access to such a partition while the guest is using it. Fusion does have this capability, it's how Boot Camp virtual machines work.

0 Kudos