VMware Communities
Bill_Boyd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion 2.0 Installation Failed

I tried to install Fusion 2.0 from the file "VMware-Fusion-2.0.0-116369.dmg" over a working copy of Fusion 1 (the latest version of that). During the installation process a message appeared stating that 'The Installer could not install some files in "/". Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.'

When I checked the version of Fusion on my computer, it was now 2.0. I launched it and tried to start my only virtual machine, Windows XP Home. The resulting message was "VMware Fusion cannot connect to the virtual machine. Make sure you have rights to run the program and to access all directories it uses and rights to access all directories for temporary files."

How can I fix this problem?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dantheman758
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Funny you mention it, that's exactly what I ended up doing. I bought a new hard drive, installed a fresh copy of Mac OSX, ported my virtual machines from my old hard drive (using my usb harddrive connector), and installed Vmware 2.0, and now they work like a charm. I'm guessing something must have been corrupt (as mentioned, probably the updater), though I wouldn't know the first step about how to repair that. Luckily all of my apps were easy to port as well thanx to the Mac OSX Framework (just click and drag to the apps folder -- awesomeness). When all else fails Reinstall the OS.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What happens if you reboot the Mac and try to install again?

0 Kudos
Bill_Boyd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I rebooted, then ran the installer again. This time is gave me this message: "The source media you are installing from is damaged. Try installing from a different copy of the source media or contact the manufacturer for a replacement."

I downloaded the installer again. This time is worked properly.

I conclude two things from this:

1) The original installer was corrupted somehow, perhaps by being copied to a USB drive attached to my Time Capsule. I'd seem this type of thing before but thought it had been resolved.

2) It might be good to have your installer do a little more integrity checking when it is first launched.

0 Kudos
dantheman758
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I too have tried to install Fusion 2.0 from the file "VMware-Fusion-2.0.0-116369.dmg" over a working copy of Fusion 1.1.3.

Every time I try to launch either of my Windows XP virtual machines I'm getting the message: "VMware Fusion cannot connect to the virtual machine. Make sure you have rights to run the program and to access all directories it uses and rights to access all directories for temporary files."

I've checked my permissions on the virtual machine images, I've tried every combination of rebooting and install/uninstall I could think of including manually deleting vmware files after uninstalling it and trying to revert back to version 1.1.3 where I'm now getting the error: "Failed to connect to peer process".

I have no way of accessing either of these virtual machines and fear I may have lost their contents forever.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
Bill_Boyd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had your exact problem at one point. Reinstalling the updater fixed that problem for me. If you haven't already tried, you might download a fresh copy of the updater.

0 Kudos
wtcmoca
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This appears to be a real issue for many of us. I've tried every combination described within this string and within all of the strings surrounding the "failed to connect to peer process" error message from the 1.x fusion release.

I'll up the stakes one further. I can't even install a new vm at this point, so I'm completely cold with the ability to run any type of windows os apps. I've uninstalled (1.x and 2.0) and rebooted (1.x and 2.0) in every combination and I don't have any ideas beyond completely reinstalling the os, which is not within my interest level at this point.

The only thing that I can think that I might have done recently was to try and get my Windows server to be able to access my mac using an SMB connection. I can't see how this is related.

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Kudos
dantheman758
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Funny you mention it, that's exactly what I ended up doing. I bought a new hard drive, installed a fresh copy of Mac OSX, ported my virtual machines from my old hard drive (using my usb harddrive connector), and installed Vmware 2.0, and now they work like a charm. I'm guessing something must have been corrupt (as mentioned, probably the updater), though I wouldn't know the first step about how to repair that. Luckily all of my apps were easy to port as well thanx to the Mac OSX Framework (just click and drag to the apps folder -- awesomeness). When all else fails Reinstall the OS.

0 Kudos
wtcmoca
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well I am going to reply back as an original head scratcher with the solution that worked for me.

I tried to think back to anything that I did recently that was out of the ordinary. The only thing I could come up with was the fact that I cancelled out of a FileVault procedure at shut_down one day because I was in a rush. Started making me think that there might have been a slight corruption of the file when I stopped the FileVault disk recapture process.

I made a directory /vmware out of the FileVault zone and copied my vm's out of the default directory under ~/Documents/Virtual Machines.

When I brought the vm's up in Fuson v1.3 (which I had reverted back to), I started getting different errors than before about trying to take ownership of a file that was in use. I then upgraded to Fusion v2.0. It noticed the inconsistency and asked if I had moved or copied the VM. I said copy. And voila - booted up. I'm back in business under Fusion 2.0.

I've not tested it (don't ever want to be without Visio for that long again), but I would recommend that anyone who is having a similar issue think about putting their VM's outside of the FileVault zone.

Hope that helps...

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

While there has been some talk about it nonetheless VMware does not at the present time distribute patches or updater's. The "VMware-Fusion-.dmg" files downloaded from VMware are complete fully functioning versions of the product.

0 Kudos
goatesnotes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am trying to do a fresh install with a Parallels conversion, so everything is new. I tried it twice. I get: "Make sure you have rights to run the program and to access all directories it uses and rights to access all directories for temporary files." I checked all the rights and privileges and even opened read write to everyone on all the files. Made no difference. I can't import a Parallels file.

0 Kudos