VMware Communities
raywood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Scrollbars in Some VMs in WinXP Guest

I'm using Workstation 6 on Ubuntu. I have two WinXP guests. One is a clone of the other, with some other programs installed. The original is fine. The clone has decided to stop fitting within the viewable area when I use Console View. Instead, I have horizontal and vertical scrollbars in Workstation. That is, I have to scroll around the screen repeatedly to see what might be appearing down in the taskbar or up at the top. The available settings (in Edit > Preferences > Display) make no visible difference on anything, regardless of how I configure them. I do seem to have VMware Tools installed, according to the VMware Tools icon that appears in the system trays of the guest systems. The full WinXP desktop is visible in both VMs when I use Full Screen view. How do I get rid of the scroll bars and make the full WinXP desktop visible in Console View?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried the "Autofit Guest" and "Fit guest now" options under the VMWorkstation "View" menu? This function needs VMware Tools running (what seems to be the case in your guest).

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
raywood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah, like I say, I'm getting no response from those options.

0 Kudos
raywood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was able to fix this by going into Control Panel > Display > Settings in the Windows XP guest and manually resetting its resolution so that it would fit properly. The idea seems to be that, in at least some virtual machines, Autofit may only be smart enough to change resolutions when you switch between Console and Full Screen views. It may not take the additional step of autodetecting the proper resolution for each view in the first place.

0 Kudos