VMware Cloud Community
tander
Contributor
Contributor

Enabling VMI (paravirtualization) for guest VMs on ESX 3.5

I have some linux VMs, which have kernels configured to support VMI, so I am trying to enable it in ESX. But, the checkbox to enable paravirt is grayed out in the VM settings.

Are there dependencies for turning this on? Are there logs to see if/why it is not available at a host level?

- I see VMI mentioned along Intel VT in other discussions. Does VMI require hardware virtualization? My CPU does support VT, I'll need to confirm it's not off in the BIOS or something.

- VMI doesn't require 64 bit guests does it? My CPU is 64 bit capable, but my Linux guests are 32bit.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

You can only enable paravirt when the vm is powered off. Other than that, there should not be any additional dependencies. VT is required for hardware virtualization, not paravirtualization, but it won't hurt you, so I'd enable it if is available.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

- I see VMI mentioned along Intel VT in other discussions. Does VMI require hardware virtualization?

No.

- VMI doesn't require 64 bit guests does it?

No. In fact, VMI only works with 32-bit guests.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

You may be able to configure it in VM, but make sure your OS supports it.

para virtualization needs a customized version of the OS, which is how the OS can run better, it's "tweaked" to be in a VM, slightly different kernel.

I experimented with it, and the chances that the non-standard version don't outweigh the speed difference (that MAY get) for the OS.

There are very few OS that can take advantage of this feature. I don't think you can simply "enable" it for every OS.

0 Kudos
tander
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, my Linux VMs support VMI. Many/most recent linux distributions have VMI configured.

Of course, now I went back and checked a couple more VMs, and the option was not grayed out. I must have accidentally checked one that was suspended or something..

Thanks for the responses.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Don't forget to leave points for helpful/correct posts.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos