VMware Cloud Community
gurubert
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 3.5.2 & SNMP

Hi,

after installing ESXi 3.5 and enabling the SNMP service all I get via snmpwalk are the basic SNMP infos.

A snmpwalk on OID .1.3.6.1.4.1.6876 does not return any information.

Is ESXi restrictied in any ways regarding the information available via SNMP?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
dr00l
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think ESXi currently supports SNMP gets.

Excerpt from page 9 of the following:

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vmware_esxi_management_wp.pdf

ESXi ships with an SNMP management agent different from the one that runs in the service console of ESX 3. Currently, the ESXi SNMP agent supports only SNMP traps, not gets.

0 Kudos
couak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same for me, I get basic info when querying a free ESXi 3.5.2

I read following information in KB 1006543 :

Capability

VMware ESX

VMware ESXi

SNMP

VMware ESX supports SNMP.

VMware ESXi supports SNMP when licensed to a VI Foundation, VI Standard, or VI Enterprise edition. The free version of VMware ESXi does not support SNMP.

0 Kudos
littlejon1
Contributor
Contributor

OK. Assuming I have a license to one of these products, does esxi then support gets? If so, how do I enable that on the esxi host snmp agent?

0 Kudos
NetComrade
Contributor
Contributor

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I realize you can get 'total' utlization view out of VM tools, but we like to store some of that information in RRD databases in tools such as cacti, which polls everything via snmp.

Does a Foundatin license allow you to pull the central server for this info?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi ships with an SNMP management agent different from the one that runs in the service console of ESX 3. Currently, the ESXi SNMP agent supports only SNMP traps, not gets. SNMP write operations are not supported by ESXi.

0 Kudos
NetComrade
Contributor
Contributor

are there plans to include snmp gets, and if yes in what release/how soon.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

As far as i know there are no plans, I'll update the thread

if I get any info

-Ahmed

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, in ESXi 4 includes an SNMP agent embedded in hostd that can both send traps and receive polling requests such as GET requests

See more at: Page 49

Ahmed Ali

0 Kudos
dwcrist
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does anyone know if in vCenter 4.0 you can create an alarm that will tell you which hardware component is having trouble? In VC 2.5, all the alarm can tell you is 'your hardware just went red'. You have to go to your VC screen to determine what piece of hardware is affected. It seems that VMware dangles all of the detail in front of our faces in VC, but won't let us alert on it. My SE told me it was because they didn't want to offend any of their partners. What about the customers??!!

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

With vCenter Server you have the following hardware alert options.

0 Kudos
dwcrist
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, Dave. So for us, there is now hope on the horizon. We're still in the middle of our 2.5 to 3.5 migration. Hopefully by the time that is done, Update 1 will be out for 4.0.

0 Kudos
dwcrist
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dave, do you know if vCenter 4 would pull that detailed info from an ESXi 3.5 host, or does it require the host to be at 4.0 also?

Thanks,

Doug

0 Kudos