VMware Communities
eN0ch
Contributor
Contributor

Import data from Winclone to Virtual machine [newbie]

Hi,

Very occasional Fusion/Win user, and not over geeky ... so please be kind Smiley Wink

OK so I had a 30GB bootcamp partition which I was using with Fusion. That was until Monday when my HD crashed. I now have my macbook back from the shop with a new HD, and all my mac data restored from Time Machine. And I have a Winclone backup taken from the BC partition before the crash. Winclone filesize is only 2.2GB.

Now having got to this situation, I'm not sure I want to recreate a bootcamp partition. In the 9 months since I got the computer I've used Windows on Fusion half a dozen times and haven't even come close to needing to boot in Windows. So I think I can confidently forget the partition and go the virtual machine route.

So I need advice on getting the data from the Winclone backup file to the Fusion VM. As simple as possible please; I don't have a geek phrasebook ...

Regards,

Lance <º))><

MacBook 2.16 OSX 10.5.4

Fusion 1.1.3 WinXP

Regards, Lance <º))>< MacBook 2.16 OSX 10.5.4 Fusion 1.1.3 WinXP
0 Kudos
4 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

Hrm, that's definitely an interesting situation.

If you only need to get data from the WinClone image, here is what I would suggest.

1. Create a brand new Windows XP virtual machine with Fusion (http://mylearn.vmware.com/register.cfm?course=9740)

2. Use WinClone to mount the image in the Mac OS

3. Move the data between the Mac OS and the XP virtual machine (http://mylearn.vmware.com/register.cfm?course=10943)

Down side is that you need to reinstall any software and updates in the new Windows XP, but it should get the job done.

PS, I haven't used WinClone before .... but after reading up on their home page, this may be the only way if you don't use a physical bootcamp partition.

eN0ch
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm, OK. Thanks for that. Think I could give that a go. I might need some further help with knowing what files to copy across, and which to leave alone. But I guess I can worry about that after I get the VM created.

I also am unsure what's involved in mounting the Winclone thing. Do I just dbl-click on

it? Or is it more geeky than that?

And another thought too ... Is it easy to remove a BC partition after creating it? I'm just wondering - could it be easier to create a partition, copy the data to the VM from that, and then wipe the partition??

Well anyway I guess either way I need the VM set up, so guess I'll start there. I'll be back .... (meanwhile, open to other ideas, please ..... )

Regards,

Lance &lt;º))&gt;&lt;

Message was edited by: eN0ch

0 Kudos
eN0ch
Contributor
Contributor

Well the final wash up is that I've just ended up creating a smaller bootcamp partition (12GB rather than previous 30GB), and restoring to that from the Winclone archive. Went quite smoothly on the restore .. threatened not to work on first couple of attempts with a few different errors .. dragged initial bootcamp VM to desktop .. relaunched Fusion .. another error .. then suddenly fired up like old times Smiley Happy

All sweet now, I think. Thanks for the ideas anyway. Who knows? One day ... ?

Regards,

Lance &lt;º))&gt;&lt;

MacBook 2.16 OSX 10.5.4

Fusion 1.1.3 WinXP

0 Kudos
toby_port
Contributor
Contributor

This is a few years to late for your problem perhaps it might help others though.

Im using VMware Fusion 5.

In the Finder right click on your winclone image and select 'show package contents'

the look for the 'winclone.dmg' file.

mount this

then in Fusion use the Import tool.

It sees it as a bootcamp partition and allows you to import it as a vmdk.

0 Kudos