VMware Communities
SE-PMC-Bradm
Contributor
Contributor

USB KVM Switches when Interacting with VM

Hey Everyone,

I'm running VMware Workstation 6.0.2. When I either mouse over or out of the VM screen when it is running, my USB KVM switches to the other computer. I've tried searching for this, but have come up empty. I have VM tools installed on the VM, but a friend of mine doesn't and it happens with them.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
3 Replies
assarbad
Contributor
Contributor

Having the same problem in the latest VMWare Workstation release. It appears that VMWare is sending Scroll Lock "down" the line to the KVM every time you enter or leave the VM (probably only when VMWare Tools are installed). However, if you do this within the threshld period for the KVM, it'll switch.

The problem is, that there are KVM switches out there, which do not offer any configuration of the hotkey, let alone on hardware level. Which means that VMWare should simply offer a way to suppress this odd behavior through the configuration file.

0 Kudos
Leri2000
Contributor
Contributor

I was having the same issue with a TrendNet (TK-407) and a way to get around it was to turn scroll lock on, on the VMware clients. This way switching between the VMware Console and my PC did not cause the double scroll key issue since I guess the scroll lock was already selected in the client.

0 Kudos
Shane256
Contributor
Contributor

Evidently, the issue is still there in the latest version (8.0.3 build-703057, as I type this). Using the above suggestion of turning on scroll lock inside the VM works about 1/2 the time. It is *extremely* annoying as I run multiple VMs and switch between them fairly often. I'm using a Trendnet TK-209. This is a massive productivity hit. Unfortunately, this seems like it's been in the product for several versions now. This is annoying to the point of our considering another product.

0 Kudos