VMware Communities
star-affinity
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 1.1.3 stalls when installing updates in Ubuntu virtual machine

Hi!

I'm having trouble with Fusion and running the updates found in the Update Manager within Ubuntu 8.04.When the updates has been chewing along for some time (maybe it's when Ubuntu is trying to restart, since the screen for Ubuntu is black) Fusion just stalls and I have to force quit it. After this the Ubuntu virtual machine doesn't want to start anymore. I've reproduced this two times using a backup from Time Machine.

I also can't start Fusion after the force quit. It just says "Application Not Responding" in the Dock. This is the situation right now. First time this happened I had to restart my Mac to get it to work again, but even the restart wouldn't work properly as the Mac stopped with the spinning cogwheel insead of doing a restart. Had to do a forced restart.

Any ideas?

Fusion has been rock solid for me so far, so I don't know what's going on here...

Mac OS X 10.5.4 on a MacBook Pro 2,5 GHz with 4 GB RAM.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
kristein
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ubuntu 8.04 is not one of the supported Guest OS to be installed on VMware Fusion

Please go through the below link for supported list of Guest OS to be installed on VMware Fusion

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/fusion_getting_started_10.pdf

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

Hi star,

Does this happen with Mac OS X 10.5.3? 10.5.4 just came out, so it's not unthinkable there are issues.. 😕

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It would be really helpful, star-affinity, if you could attach logfiles from both Fusion's main components. You'll find these in two locations: in your home directory, Library/Logs/VMware Fusion, and in the VM directory (it's a bundle, so the Finder makes it look like a single file, but if you right-click it and say "Show package contents", you can see inside the VM directory, and there will be a file named vmware.log). An example of both vmware-vmfusion.log and vmware.log would be useful.

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

Right!

Also, do you have the option "Optimize for Mac OS X application performance" selected in VMware Fusion -> Preferences?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

FYI I deleted the very-similar thread

0 Kudos
owla
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I would try changing to "Optimize for virtual machine disk performance". I had exactly this same problem with Ubuntu updates on Fusion 1.1.3 and Mac OS X 10.5.3 / 10.5.4. My hardware has passed every test (disk, memtest, file permissions).

The "Optimize for Mac OS application performance" option has given me nothing but trouble. etung, how do we go about documenting this in a real bug report? The issue is very reproducible for me, including on "supported" Linux distros, such as when installing RedHat / Centos.

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

Yeah, I would try changing to "Optimize for virtual machine disk performance". I had exactly this same problem with Ubuntu updates on Fusion 1.1.3 and Mac OS X 10.5.3 / 10.5.4. My hardware has passed every test (disk, memtest, file permissions).

Thank you for confirming this, and please accept our apologies.

The "Optimize for Mac OS application performance" option has given me nothing but trouble. etung, how do we go about documenting this in a real bug report? The issue is very reproducible for me, including on "supported" Linux distros, such as when installing RedHat / Centos.

We previously automatically disabled this feature for all guests running on Mac OS X 10.5.0 through 10.5.2 due to bugs in the Mac OS kernel. We filed a bug on Apple as bug 5679432 back in January; it was supposed to be fixed in 10.5.3, so we re-enabled the "Optimize for Mac OS application performance" option for 10.5.3 and up.

Unfortunately, it looks like the bug was not wholly fixed, and we missed that in our testing. We have filed bug 6048690 this week on Apple to track this, and we're aggressively pushing for a fix.

0 Kudos
owla
Contributor
Contributor

Awesome! It sounds like you're on top of this, thanks.

0 Kudos
star-affinity
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys!

Thanks for all replies! Smiley Happy

So I see I'm not alone...

I understand that Ubuntu might not be supported currently, but it's a bit sand that it has to make Fusion stall because of this and also make the Mac stall upon trying to restart which one has to do because a restart is required to run any other virtual machine after this.

Anyway... I didn't find any "vmware.log" inside the Fusion.app bundle, but I have the "vmware-vmfusion.log" and I have also saved a sample of Ubuntu when it stalled and it's named "Sample_of_VMware_Fusion_stall_Ubuntu.txt".

I'll upload them both. Hope they will be of use.

Interesting to hear there's a bug concerning Fusion still present in 10.5.4. So it seems that's what causes the problems with Ubuntu?

Best regards

-Martin B

0 Kudos
star-affinity
Contributor
Contributor

Hmmm.... I keep getting error messages when posting but tthings seem to get posted anyway.

One can only upload one thing at a time?

Here comes the log also then.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It's a bug in the host OS, as far as we can tell. Or, if you're not into the blame game, it's a disagreement between Fusion and OS X about what sequences of disk-write calls are legal to make.

In any case, it's entirely independent of what guest OS you're running, or even whether that guest OS is officially supported by us.

Thanks for the logs.