VMware Communities
lopardo
Contributor
Contributor

Slow network access from XP guest to Vista host

I have two computers in my physical network, one is connected directly to the Internet through a router and gives Internet access to the other one through Internet Connection Sharing (ICS):

Router -> Pentium III (XP) -> (ICS) -> Core 2 Duo (XP & Vista dual-boot - both 32-bit)

I use VMware Workstation 6.0.4 in the Core 2 Duo. I have a Windows XP VM there, connected to the network in bridged mode.

When I boot the Core 2 Duo into XP, the network works just fine. But when I boot into Vista, access to the host from the guest is painfully slow, although access to the Pentium III from the guest works fine.

What could it be? Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
lopardo
Contributor
Contributor

I'm still having the same problem. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Do I understand your setup right: you have VMware Workstation running on your dual boot system under XP and Vista and your guest is XP?

What kind of network connection do you use to connect host and guest? Bridged or host-only? What kind of physical network connection do you have? 100 Mbit/s?

Do you have you VMware Tools installed in the guest?

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
lopardo
Contributor
Contributor

Do I understand your setup right: you have VMware Workstation running on your dual boot system under XP and Vista and your guest is XP?

Yes.

What kind of network connection do you use to connect host and guest? Bridged or host-only?

Bridged. If I use NAT then it works fine, but I'd like to use bridged (which works fine when the host OS is XP and not Vista).

What kind of physical network connection do you have? 100 Mbit/s?

1 gbps.

Do you have you VMware Tools installed in the guest?

Yes.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Add a second vNIC to the guest and make it "host-only". Try it and if this is fast enough use it for guest-host communication (at least as a workaround).

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

Please post/attach results from "IPCONFIG /ALL" in host OS.

If you have multiple NICs, disable Automatic Bridging in VMware Virtual Network Settings... and assign desired physical NIC to VMnet0.

0 Kudos
lopardo
Contributor
Contributor

I attached the results from ipconfig /all.

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

OK. Only one physical NIC, no need to disable Automatic Bridging.

How is guest configured (IPCONFIG /ALL)?

Is it also bridged and on 192.168.0.x network with 192.168.0.1 gateway.

Is 192.168.0.1 your physical router?

0 Kudos
lopardo
Contributor
Contributor

I attached the results from ipconfig /all on my XP guest.

192.168.0.1 is my Pentium III machine running Windows XP:

Router \[10.0.0.2\] -> \[10.0.0.4\] Pentium III (XP) (ICS) \[192.168.0.1\] -> \[192.168.0.2\] Core 2 Duo (XP/Vista 32-bit).

No problems with the same configuration when I boot the host machine into Windows XP.

0 Kudos
nextech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I'm having the same exact problem as well.

I'm running Windows Vista x64 Ultimate as my host OS, and Windows Server 2008 x64 Enterprise as my guest OS. I'm experiencing the same exact problems, and after doing a Google search on the issue, I found over 200+ websites discussing the problem in forums, and thousands of various posts, but the issue still seems to remain unresolved. Some of the posts were dating all the way back to 2007 (apparently not as many people were using 64-bit operating systems or 64-bit hosts back then) but the issue seems to be more prevalent now as more and more computers (just about ALL new computers are 64-bit and running 64-bit operating systems) so the problem seems to be much louder now, as more and more people are complaining.

VMWare seems to be sleeping on the job, and ignoring the problem.

I've posted a detailed description of the problem here:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1191782#1191782

0 Kudos