VMware Cloud Community
tumbleweed
Contributor
Contributor

System keyboard won't accept input on ESXi 3.5

Hi

I am evaluating the ESX server 3i installable version 3.5.0 build 82664 on a Dell poweredge 2950 with bios version 2.2.6. Initally during the installation I had problems with the server accepting input from the keyboard, though I did mangage to reboot and install it.

After installing it, at first I was able to use F2 (I had to reboot a few times) to get into the configuration menus using F2. Now for some reason I can not get in at all, even with a reboot, the system ignores keyboard input. The VI client connects to the server with no problems and I am able to configure and run virtual machines.

I am able to run linux or access the Dell bios from the console keyboard without problems. The keyboard is a USB device which is the only type of keyboard supported by Dell for this server.

At first I suspect a problem with ACPI power management, but there is no config menu for this in the bios on this server.

Any ideas?

Nataraj

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ocremel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is the USB keyboard directly attached ? Did you try a different one ?

vmkernel log should mention if the keyboard was discovered.

Is there a BIOS setting for legacy keyboard emulation ?

0 Kudos
tumbleweed
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestion. I just finally solved the problem a few minutes ago. It appears that the VMware hypervisor does its own IO to the USB keyboard, without going through the bios (there are no PS/2 ports on the dell servers) and may not find or work properly with all USB ports on the system. I had previously plugged the keyboard into a USB port on the back of the server (which worked fine when I booted linux). When I connected the keyboard to a usb port on the front, it worked properly.

Nataraj

0 Kudos