VMware Cloud Community
Mark_Bayliss
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Accessing DVD drive locally through ESX host server console

Hey,

I have a particular product that I need to install which is on a DVD. When I access the server console on the physical host I cannot see the DVD ROM drive or any CD/DVD I put in. I thought it could be accessible under /mnt/cdrom or /mnt/cdrom1 but doesnt appears to be.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Wingrove
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have had a similar (if not the same) problem with DELL PowerEdge 1950 III and ESX 3.5.

ESX does not log anything to /var/log/messages when a DVD/CD is inserted into the DVD drive.

However, I could "mount /dev/cdrom" from root's cmd line and see the content of the DVD under /mnt/cdrom. I then did a "umount /cdrom" and looked at /dev/cdrom: it was a link to /dev/hda. The latter is listed in VM Properties -> Hardware tab -> CD / DVD Drive 1 -> Device Type -> Host Device drop down so I selected it and I made sure Device Status was "Connect at power on". I then double-checked the VM was set to boot from CD / DVD before it attempted a network boot. I did this by double-checking the BIOS settings, delaying boot so I could hit ESC and then selected CD / DVD. It worked.

I am 90% convinced I tried this the first time and it didn't work but can't be 100% sure so I don't know if the mount/umount did anything to "activate" the CD / DVD within ESX.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Mark, are you trying to install the software into a VM or into the service console? If for a VM, then CD-ROM may be something like /dev/hda* and you'll be able to edit the properties for the VM and select that device. You won't have to do anything in the service console in that case. Which version of ESX are you running and is it ESX or ESXi?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Go to the service console. If you put the cd into the esx cd drive, the ESX host should try and mount it. Depending on what kind of cd/dvd drive you have, it will either show up as a /dev/hd? or /dev/sd*. I've also seen it as /dev/sr0, but if you put the cd in, you should see a message in your /var/log/messages file as to what was inserted, and the device name that was given to it. You should then be able to use that as the device you configure in the vm's cd properties, or make a symlink to that devicename called /dev/cdrom.

Check to see if /dev/cdrom is already there, and see what it is pointing to, it is a faster way, if your ESX host recognized the device correctly.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
Mark_Bayliss
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey,

Thanks for the everyone reply. I am still having no luck.

The /var/log/messages file shows nothing in regards to mounting the CD/DVD drive on the ESX Host. Via the service console I have tried several mount paths /dev/hd, /dev/sd and /dev/cdrom but still nothing.

We are using Dell PowerEdge 2950's with ESX 3.5. I know the CD/DVD media is fine as I have tested it on other workstations.

Any more suggestions?

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos
MPritchard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey Mark

I'm also experencing the same problems with mounting cds on the host via service console on esx 3i server on pe 2950 server, as i'm trying to deploy open manange admin server.

If you get a solution, could you let me know mark@markjpritchard.co.uk, I would be very greatfull, should i find the solution i'll post here

0 Kudos
Wingrove
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have had a similar (if not the same) problem with DELL PowerEdge 1950 III and ESX 3.5.

ESX does not log anything to /var/log/messages when a DVD/CD is inserted into the DVD drive.

However, I could "mount /dev/cdrom" from root's cmd line and see the content of the DVD under /mnt/cdrom. I then did a "umount /cdrom" and looked at /dev/cdrom: it was a link to /dev/hda. The latter is listed in VM Properties -> Hardware tab -> CD / DVD Drive 1 -> Device Type -> Host Device drop down so I selected it and I made sure Device Status was "Connect at power on". I then double-checked the VM was set to boot from CD / DVD before it attempted a network boot. I did this by double-checking the BIOS settings, delaying boot so I could hit ESC and then selected CD / DVD. It worked.

I am 90% convinced I tried this the first time and it didn't work but can't be 100% sure so I don't know if the mount/umount did anything to "activate" the CD / DVD within ESX.

0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you on ESX or ESXi? ESXi does not support mounting CDs or DVDs in the (unsupported) service console - it does not have support for the CD and DVD filesystems (ISO9660 and UDF). Or are you trying to connect it to a VM?

0 Kudos