VMware Cloud Community
z1b903
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Raw Device Mappings Option Grayed-out?

Overview- ESX3.5/Virtual Center 2.5. HP Bladesystem C3000/BL680 Blade server running ESX3.5. Storage is a HP AIO 1200, this is a NAS devices running Windows Storage Server 2003 (with the Microsoft iSCSI initiator software). VLAN dedicated to iSCSI traffic, and separate Vswitch in ESX3.5 for Vmkernel. The NAS iSCSI configuration defines 3 major LUN's (Raid10, Raid5, Test raid10). ESX3.5 sees all 3 Lun's, and the storage can be added via the add storage wizard.

I need to utilize the Microsoft Volume Shadow Service on the AIO 1200 NAS device. I was hoping to use the RDM capability to do this, but when I attempt to create a "Disk" for a new guest (or add a disk for an existing guest) with the add hardware wizard, the Raw Device Mappings option is "Grayed-out" and not selectable.

In general I can create Guest VMDK at will, but the option to create a Raw Disk Mapping LUN is not selectable.

I sense I am making a mistake in the process of actually adding the storage to the ESX3.5 server, but here again, the "wizard" seemingly goes ahead and creates a VMFS files system on the Lun when it is added to the ESX.35. server (this is confirmed by examining the VMFS directory from AIO 1200),

How does one create a RDM disk resource?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As Mike stated, you have to have an unassigned LUN to create an RDM out of. From your description, you have 3 LUNs, which are in use. You will have to create a new LUN, make sure it is seen by the ESX hosts, and then try to add the disk to the VM's. If the option is grayed-out, it will mean that the ESX server does not see any unused LUNs that it can use to create the device.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hi,

The RDM mapping is a pointer in the VM and ESX server configuration files to a Raw block device . It must be an unassigned raw LUN. If it was formatted as vmfs it will not be available until you delete it and rescan for storage twice in a row.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As Mike stated, you have to have an unassigned LUN to create an RDM out of. From your description, you have 3 LUNs, which are in use. You will have to create a new LUN, make sure it is seen by the ESX hosts, and then try to add the disk to the VM's. If the option is grayed-out, it will mean that the ESX server does not see any unused LUNs that it can use to create the device.

-KjB

0 Kudos
z1b903
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Folks:

Ah ha makes sense now, I'll give it a try, and let you know what the result is.

Mark M.

0 Kudos
z1b903
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Folks:

Worked like a charm. I now have RDM capability. Mike I'm sorry I'm new to the Forum interface, and thought I caould give both you and the other person the "correct" answer, but alast this is not so. My mistake..

Mark M.

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

No problem. Good to hear it's working.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can always leave another helpful. ; -)

-KjB

0 Kudos
NHATech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a simular problem except in my case the RDM mappings were OK originally but were deleted on one of the cluster nodes. I am trying to re-create the mappings but I do not have the option of selecting the luns. The other node of the cluster (the one that is still working) has been shut down, yet I still do not have the option of selecting the luns.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Run a rescan on your hba's a couple of times. Then, make sure the LUN is still made available to the ESX host from your SAN. Then go back in and try to re-map.

-KjB

0 Kudos
akash1980
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Guys,

Help required.

We are planning to virtualise a server which got SAN storage (200 GB) attached.

Instead of vitalizing the disk which is using SAN space, I am thinking to present that particular disk as a RDM to VM.

• Is it feasible?

• Any challenges?

• Do I need to un-map the LUN from Physical server first inorder to present to VM as a RDM?

• I assume, just I need to present the same LUN to different ESX hosts in cluster to use DRS/Vmotion, Is it true?

• Best practices?

0 Kudos