VMware Cloud Community
ehinkle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Monitor Guess os disk space

Is it possible to create a script or have VC determine the amount of free disk space in a windows guest os and send alert when the threshold fals below a set level. We have VM's that have 15g C drives and I want to be notified when a guest os free space falls below 1gig or a 15%.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JRink
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I typically just use PRTG for my Windows machines. it can send email alert notifications...

JR

0 Kudos
rossb2b
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The VMWare VI Perl Toolkit has a perl script in the samples\vm folder that may help you: diskfree.pl

1. VI3 Disk Info Reporter v1.01

2. Contribution by: Richard Garsthagen (richard@vmware.com)

#

1. This program exposes the information about the first virtual disk in running Virtual Machines to

2. VirtualCenter. VirtualCenter today does not report the freespace within the Virtual Machines, strange

3. right? Well this program creates 2 custom fields where it will report the actual free space and the percentage

4. free space.

#

1. Version History:

2. V1.00 - (5 Nov 2006) Written for demo @ vmworld 2006

3. V1.01 - (13 Nov 2006) Improved script to check and if needed create custom fields

4. V1.02 - (9 Apr 2007) Switched to use VILib option-processing support (rbosch)

0 Kudos
snapper
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any half decent monitoring program will be able to give notification via email on guest disk space usage.

Another way is to use an sql script, since that information is kept in the Database and is readily accessible.

This could simply be a scheduled task / vb script, or what I use it for is a web 'status' page that changes colour when a threshold is reached.

Happy to provide the sql if this is the way you want to go.

Long term, I think the VI toolkit / remote command line (and powershell integration tools) will be the way to go for all tasks Smiley Happy

Cheers,

SP

Don't forget to award points where appropriate 🙂
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
ehinkle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is this VI3 Disk Info Reporter v1.01 in the toolkit?

0 Kudos
ehinkle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I currently use Argent to monitor my physical boxes, but did not what to purchase license for my VM's when most of the monitoring I need (system alive) I can get from virtual center.

0 Kudos
rossb2b
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, it is one of the samples. When I did the install it shows up on my pc under:

Program Files\VMware\VMware VI Perl Toolkit\Perl\samples\vm\diskfree.pl

0 Kudos