VMware Cloud Community
aregnier42
Contributor
Contributor

how to get ssh access to ESX 3i?

Is it possible and how to get ssh access to ESX 3i?

I know it's possible with ESX 3.5 that contain the service console... But what about with ESX 3i?

thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There isn't a service console with esx 3i. For any commands you need to use the Remote CLI which needs to be installed in a VM.

There is a windows and linux installable version and VMware also has a preloaded appliance VM which can be used.

Check in the drivers and tools page for VI3 for the download.

http://www.vmware.com/download/vi/drivers_tools.html

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos
aregnier42
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Pete,

thanks for your response.

I actually looked into that, installed the VIRemoteCLI and I was less than impressed to find out that the only thing that was really installed was a bunch of crappy perl scripts... (it took me a while to figure out, that those were what was actually installed)

One of the reason why I would like to have ssh access is to be able to do manual copy/backup directly on the host, of the whole vm folder. (like you would do with VMWare Server) I understand there are better options with GUI etc... but I'm investigating transition from VMWare Server to ESX 3i, and there are things I'd like to do the same way. (of course there are no problem to do that with the full ESX 3.5)

Is there an easy way to do that with the CLI ?

Could the Datastore browser be a good place to do that kind of stuff (at least for the copy/backup of files/folders)?

Thanks

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I haven't played with the RCL that much. If you are looking for the commands that the service console provided you may be better off looking at moving to ESX 3.5 instead of 3i.

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

At the bootloader type "shift-O" this will bring up an advanced option and type "shell", continue booting and then you can click "alt+f1" to be able to login. You'll get some of the standard tools (esxcfg-*,etc) you see in 3.0.x / 3.5.x but this option is unsupported by VMware, use at your own risk. I believe this is for further support troubleshoot and is not documented.

0 Kudos
Teiva
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi aregnier42, page 148 of the ESX Server 3i Configuration Guide and the Basic admin guide states to use the VI client to connect directly to the ESX 3i server to perform the following tasks

- Firewall configurations to enable SSH service - see tab Configurations | Security Profile | Enable server and make sure it's running

- Create user accounts (if you do not want to logon as root") see Tab

- Grant user Shell access (same place)

I have never used 3i but if the doco says so it must be true Smiley Happy

T.

Teiva
0 Kudos
aregnier42
Contributor
Contributor

at what time exactly are we supposed to press "shift-O"?

(I'm using the esx3i installable version that I installed on a dell 2950)

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

The shift-O option was removed and was only part of the beta program. To get access to the console you can type "unsupported" as described in this KB article http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003677 but this will only give you console access and not SSH. You'll need to look at the RCLI (vifs) or other tools to copy a VM to and from your 3i host.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

The CLI includes the commands vmkfstools.pl and vifs.pl which can be used to copy / move files.

0 Kudos
dengle
Contributor
Contributor

When you are doing vmkfstools remotely, how do you find the lcoation of the VM folder you are wanting to work with?

0 Kudos
Henk_Nachtegaal
Contributor
Contributor

edit the sshd_config file by entering the command:

nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config

Look for the line called "PermitRootLogin no" and change it to "PermitRootLogin yes"

After changing the line you have to restart the sshd server by running the command:

./etc/init.d/sshd restart

Thats it

Good luck

0 Kudos
Paul_Lalonde
Commander
Commander

Boot your ESXi server, wait for it to finish loading, and then do the following:

1. ALT-F1 to change to the main console.

2. Type 'unsupported' (you will not be able to see what you're typing).

3. When prompted, enter the root user's password.

4. Type: vi /etc/inetd.conf

5. Find the line that begins with #ssh

6. Cursor over the first 's' and press the 'i' key (for insert mode)

7. Press backspace

8. Press ESC

9. Type SHIFT+colon (Smiley Happy and then 'wq!' to write and exit.

10. Type 'ps | grep inetd' to find the inetd process

11. Send the hangup signal to the process ID output from step 10 with: kill -s HUP <PID>

12. You can now SSH into your ESXi server.

Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
Bpace
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone know if you can still do SSH? I followed the instructions and I get some message like not authorized. I have the very latest greatest ESXi hotfixes. Any thoughts? The whole reason for needing SSH in my situation is that I hear I can use VCB (san) along with vRanger to backup my ESXi boxes.

Does anyone have any ideas/thoughts on SSH and/or backups of ESXi.

0 Kudos
Desmo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Enabled ssh ok but ./etc/init.d/sshd or ./etc.ssh/ssh_config does not exist in 3i. How do you permit ssh logon for either the root or another user?

0 Kudos
ocremel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I ssh is enabled, logon will be permitted. Is it really enabled (SIGHUP to inetd).

Standard disclaimer: enabling ssh is not supported so you take your chances.

0 Kudos
Desmo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry to reply again. I have enabled ssh as above and now rebooted the server. Still no SSH access, the connection is refused. I am using the root account. Any ideas would be welcome?

0 Kudos
The_Reckoning55
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Look at the inetd.conf file again. You need to make sure that there are NO extra spaces or any key strokes that might have accidentally been added. I wish that they had added NANO as a text editor as I find it easier to use than VI.

I had this problem in ESX 3.5 when I added the PermitRootLogin yes into the configuration. I added an extra space and it took me several hours to remedy the issue.

Hope this helps!

Reck

**Remember to award points if you found this post helpful DJ Gillit, VSP, VTSP Systems Integration and Special Projects localLINUX, Inc www.locallinux.com
0 Kudos
Desmo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, this was the probelm. Thanks.

0 Kudos
fedtom
Contributor
Contributor

Does someone know if enabling ssh then is it possible to reach the vmware server host also through the vi client by remote? Has a specific port other than 22 to be specified? I.e., I have my esxi server host behind a router with nat and I wish to manage it from remote through the vi client beside the commend line. I have tried to scan the open port on the server host and tried to forward them into the router but when trying to connect using the vi client from remote the connection can't be established. When I use it into the lan obviously it goes. Maybe have I to disable firewall on esxi server? But is really there a firewall on the free registered version? Using the vi client in the configuration --> Security section it appears firewall just for 1 second, then it disappear and VirtualCenter Agent and ntp Daemon appear....???

Furthermore, does anyone know how to forward ports to be able to reach via ssh and via vnc the installed Linux Virtual Machines? Within the lan everything work fine, but if I try to reach the virtual machines through a remote position, either ssh or vnc can't onnect to the server. Maybe have I to make some forward from the physical nic on the physical server towards the virtual nic on virtual machines? But how to do this? Thanks

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you enable SSH you'll be able to get to the console for ESXi, but you wouldn't be able to use the VI client. For that you'd need to allow https and TCP 902 (for VM remote console access).

0 Kudos