VMware Communities
MichaelFranz
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion Using 64 Bit Bootcamp

Hi,

I have Windows XP 64 installed via bootcamp. When I startup Fusion it tries to run XP but complains that the VM is a 32 bit vm and that there will be problems. Not a surprise. How do I get Fusion to use a 64 bit vm with bootcamp? The only thing I have found is that I can create a new 64 bit VM, but cannot figure out how to get it to use my bootcamp partion. Is there support for 64 bit bootcamp partions? If not, when will it be available? I am using the latest version of Fusion 1.1 (62573). The release notes say that XP 64 is supported.

Michael

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
MichaelFranz
Contributor
Contributor

I have upgraded to version 1.1.1 (72241) which I thought I had, but apparently I downloaded it and then installed the older version instead.

I still get the warning message about a 64 bit guest OS in a 32 bit VM. I am running Leopard on a quad core Mac Pro.

Michael

0 Kudos
GMarius
Contributor
Contributor

The last time I got this to work, I needed to go into the VMX file and change it manually to reflect WinVista64... There are other posts with the complete solution. There are many other community responses that detail the entire process.

MichaelFranz
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I found the threads using WinVista64 as a search term. I will have to give it a try. I wish it was easier than editing the file manually.

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Windows XP 64 is supported in a virtual machine, but it is not supported in a Boot Camp scenario as Apple does not support 64-bit Windows XP with Boot Camp. While you can edit the VMX file to avoid this error, like it says in the other thread, you will need to reactivate each time you switch back and forth between virtual and physical due to different hardware being shown to the VM and the physical hardware.

How we handle activation between setups is not currently supported on 64-bit systems.

This is something we can look into for a future release.

Pat

MichaelFranz
Contributor
Contributor

So, if I was running Vista 64, I wouldn't have to re-activate when I switch? But on XP 64 I do?

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

So, if I was running Vista 64, I wouldn't have to re-activate when I switch? But on XP 64 I do?

No, currently we don't support 64-bit Vista or XP from a Boot Camp VM. While it they will work with a minor tweak, the necessary stuff required to handle activation won't work at this time when switching between native and virtual.

64-bit OSs including XP and Vista are supported when run strictly as normal virtual machines. Potential for 64-bit Boot Camp VMs will be considered for a future release.

Pat

0 Kudos
Force2Reckon
Contributor
Contributor

It sounds like a solution to this would not be forthcoming any time in the near future. That being the case what would be the quickest way to take the 64bit XP bootcamp installation/partition and convert it to a disk image based virtual machine. My thoughts being if I can not really jump between bootcamp and a VM running off my bootcamp partition, I could reimage my bootcamp partition every few weeks into a disk image and run that latest config in VMware

Thanks

0 Kudos