VMware Cloud Community
gregchait
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

com.vmware.vcIntegrity reconfiguring machine

I administer approximately 200 servers in a VC2.5/ESX3.5 environment ... all are windows except for one Red Hat Linux guest build. And I am almost sure the OS is the culprit of my question, since it what is so unique about this virtual machine.

I see that "com.vmware.vcIntegrity" is intiating a "Reconfiguring Virtual Machine" on a somewhat erratic basis. It's occured about 2 dozen times in the past 3 weeks. I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on what is going on here... perhaps this is an easily answered question overlooked by my inexperience with non-Windows guests...

Thanks for any thoughts in advance...

~grc

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
andrea_annoe1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have the same problem and in RHEL 4 when VC try to reconfigure VM , I lost mountpoint NFS....

Please help me.

Andrea.

0 Kudos
andrea_annoe1
Contributor
Contributor

I think that com.vmware.vcIntegrity is made from Vmware Update Manager.

I have disable VUM. When task VUM start for Update Signature --> start task for reconfiguring machine...

0 Kudos
gregchait
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Andrea

You're right, it has something to do with the way that update manager interacts with RHEL OSs'. Are you sure this is what caused an issue with your mount point? I am still somewhat curious what exactly it's "reconfiguring", however it doesn't appear to have an adverse affect on anything on the VM I have...

~grc

0 Kudos
violettek
Contributor
Contributor

I am experiencing the same issue on my LINUX boxes only. The "reconfigure" seems to "disconnect" the vNIC. Also, seems to be more prominant in the 64-bit systems using the E1000 vNIC. Any thoughts?

--kev

0 Kudos
hphuhtin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also experiencing the same problem.

One question though, have you guys updated the tools in the Linux virtual machines? Also, are you downloading also guest patches (from Plugins -> Update Manager -> Schedule Update Download) or just ESX patches?

0 Kudos
john_gallucci
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have also been having the same problem for the past 2 months.

The error messages are in fact due to the new VMware Update Manager feature in VC 2.5 (should be called a beta product in my opinion), and occur every time the service is started from the VC server, and also whenever a client adds the plugin to the VIC.

I originally thought those messages appeared on ALL of my VMs...this was not the case. Until reading this post I did not realize this issue was directly related to Linux. I have over 200 Linux VMs and after checking my recent task list, to my suprise, every VM that was reconfigured from com.vmware.vcIntegrity was either RHEL 4 or 5.

This has not caused any technical issues, but it definitely is very annoying to see (especially with 200+ messages).

This is the only thread I have seen on this issue, and I have not seen any reply from a VMware developer, so I am interesting in what they have to say.

0 Kudos
andrea_annoe1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have suspend the task of VUM, and after when I decide to upgrade hosts ESX I move the VM to another host and attach a base line to host ESX (this is a bad workaround but this problem it isn't resolve from Vmware).

If someone has a solution can post it?Thanks to all.

0 Kudos
john_gallucci
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I finally figured this one out! It was to do with the Flexible vs E1000 virtual network adaptor. Use the Flexible for 32-bit and E1000 for 64-bit. During VM creation, Vmware chooses the appropriate adapter depending on which OS you use. If you later decide to change this, you must first delete the old virtual network adapter, and add the new one. This will not be done automatically.

Update manager is trying to do something to update this configuration, and is not successful because the OS type is labelled incorrectly from the network adapter type. Because of this failure, the message "Reconfiguring Virtual Machine" from com.vmware.vcIntegrity repeats itself over and over again.

The moral of the story is to always make sure you pick the correct OS type before installing any Operating System (we've learned this the hard way). We had over 100 VMs created from a bad template (ouch!).

0 Kudos
ndmuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have doubts that this issue relates to the wrong NIC selection. I have two RHEL 4 and 5 (32-bit) guests, both with Flexible Adapter type. Both are reconfigured periodically by com.vmware.vcintegrity user. It seems to me that one of these guests (without VMTools) is losing network connection during such reconfiguration.

So could someone post the solution for this issue, please!

Thank you!

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

I can see it too - it seems GA-Deploy (guest agent) will only update the Red-Hat machines.

In the my log file I haven't any RH but in our production we have many of them and my RH administrator has asked, what is it. We then have disabled the VUM (didn't found any other way, check this: - although my method didn't work).

Has anyone deeper knowledge about it?

Reg

Christian

0 Kudos
lhedrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have noticed that if you restart the Update Manager service you can cause it to happen. Maybe it is related...

0 Kudos
pajenson
Contributor
Contributor

We have seen this exact issue as well, although it didn't cause any issues with any of our RHEL servers. I am curious to see if anyone has a definite answer as to why this happens.

0 Kudos
ReggieSmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am seeing this issue as well. I am not seeing any issues on the RHEL VMs however.

has anyone opened an SR with VMware about this? ?:|

0 Kudos
stanj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had the same issue in VC Update2 this week..

VMware says it is a known issue...

Kb.vmware.com/kb/1008729

0 Kudos