VMware {code} Community
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Introducing the VI 2.5 Client Plugin - SVMotion

SVMotion is a VI 2.5 client plugin (the FIRST released, third-party plugin in fact) that extends the client's functionality by providing an integrated, graphical tool that can be used to invoke storage VMotion (SVMotion) operations. This plugin is not supported by VMware. In fact, the plugin is not anywhere close to supported by VMware because it is the result of a two-week dive into the inner-workings of the VI client libraries with popular reflection tools (reverse-engineering). l o s t c r e a t i o n s is working on a white paper that describes how to build VI plugins.

Read more about SVMotion and download it here http://www.lostcreations.com/code/wiki/vmware/viplugins/svmotion.

0 Kudos
178 Replies
bill_french
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, if this is the first third party plug in, and totally untested, am I the first to confirm it works in a production environment?

I was able to successfully storage vmotion a (minor) 1 disk production vm from an iSCSI lun to local storage successfully. I'll try a multi-disk, multi lun vm next. 20GB disk took less than 15 minutes. I have the good fortune of having several production vms that are (almost) inconsequential if they disappear, things like the WSUS server.

I am confused as to where to send payment? There's no "buy now" link on the website? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

A few people have confirmed that it works, but the more the merrier Smiley Happy No payment necessary, but thank you for asking. I release all my software under the New BSD license. Good karma and all that : )

0 Kudos
melvery
Contributor
Contributor

Hi akutz, we bumped into you plugin today during our VMware training. Did some test with it (from iSCSI LUN to internal disk) and it seems to work great! Also tried two vm's atonce and that worked aswell!

Keep up the good work!

0 Kudos
winops
Contributor
Contributor

Fantastic. Works a treat!

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
A_Mikkelsen
Expert
Expert

Damm nice

Thanks for the good work.

Regards

A. Mikkelsen

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points. Regards A. Mikkelsen
0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert

Didn't work for me on 3.5, gave a vague error about invalid parameter, and failed. No real problem, I was more or less just testing it on a small vm...Very clean, I expect this one will be quite good.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Could you be more specific about the exception?

0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert

Actually, that was as specific as it gave me. Invalid parameter, no further information was available in the event log.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
rott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I tried to install the plugin today but I wasn't able to find the plugin in the VI Client. I followed the installation guide and put the SVMotion directory under plugins. Even after restarting the PC it didn't find the plugin under "Manage Plugins".

After that I tried it on a complete different Infrastructure with another Client - same effect!?

Do you have any Ideas?

Michael

0 Kudos
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Re-download the zip file. I had screwed up the deploy script and it was not including a necessary assembly. My apologies.

0 Kudos
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I just uploaded version 0.0.2.0 to the server. Changes include:

- The ability to right-click on (almost) any object in the inventory and get the command "Migrate Storage...". This allows you select multiple VMs for SVMotion.

- The GUI is slightly different.

- The code in the repositories is now thoroughly documented for those of you who wish to create your own plugins.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
crnielsen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I have the same problem as rott. It newer shows up in the plugin manager.

Regards

Claus

0 Kudos
doomdevice
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi rott,

had the same issue. it seems there are multiple webservers behind the link and different zip files. after downloading the zip file multiple times I´ve found out that there is a difference.

You must have the zip file containing SVMotion.zip again inside. Extracting that file into the plugin directory worked for me.

@lostcreations teams: The tool is great and thanks a lot for publishing the sources also!! Great help and community support!

Dennis

VI PowerScripter [http://www.powerscripter.net] Every Click can be a customized function within VI client
0 Kudos
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Although Doom's solution will work, the answer is simply my deploy script was screwed up. The new SVMotion.zip file should be exactly what you need. I was working on deploy scripts long after I should have gone to bed. Sorry.

0 Kudos
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Although Doom's solution will work, the answer is simply my deploy script was screwed up. The new SVMotion.zip file should be exactly what you need. I was working on deploy scripts long after I should have gone to bed. Sorry.

0 Kudos
rott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

THANKS!

Works perfectly now! Really great.

Michael

0 Kudos
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Although Doom's solution will work on one of the many zip file versions I uploaded early this morning, the answer is simply my deploy script was screwed up. The new SVMotion.zip file should be exactly what you need.

0 Kudos
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Although Doom's solution will work on one of the many zip file versions I uploaded early this morning, the answer is simply my deploy script was screwed up. The new SVMotion.zip file should be exactly what you need.

0 Kudos
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos