VMware Cloud Community
tdubb123
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

permission to perform this operation was denied

I am trying to deploy a vm from a template. I am an administrator of the template. The cluster I am trying to deploy it vm to I am also the administrator there.

after going through the dploy vm wizard from template, I get

permission to perform this operation was denied error

any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

cool... Glad I could help.

don't forget to award points!! Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
tdubb123
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I should also mention that at the datacenter level, I only have read-only access

thanks

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have seen this before, it was a permissions issue, not at the level you are at, but at the datacenter level. From my understanding, and I could be wrong, when you deploy at template, it looks to the high level permissions first. If you have the ability, add yourself or have someone else add you at the Datacenter level as administrator, as a test, and try it again.

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

they will not add me as administrator at the datacenter level. I only have read access.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

from experience, I would say it's a permission issue at the Datacenter level. I think a virtual machine admin will suffice for rights, but it has to be at the datacenter level. Or you can create custom roles. Have a top level role, and then block all other levels, except the places you need to get. That should fix it.

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

where do you grant access to browse the datastores? I can only see roles like vm administratror, resource pool admin etc....

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

probably your best bet would be to create a custom role. VM Administrator may be more rights than what they are willing to give.

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

i was granted the right to browse datastore but still cannot deploy vm from template any idea?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

edit the roles and make sure you're set, at the datacenter level:

Virtual Machines--Provisioning, create template, deploy template, etc.

Add roles at the top level, set no access permissions to clusters or folders you don't need access to as well as adding the permissions to the level you need them.

Maybe with the rights for provisioning you should be set.

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

yes that was it. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

cool... Glad I could help.

don't forget to award points!! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Just reviewing the above. The original poster made no mention of being granted permissions within the Virtual Machines & Templates view (i.e. to a Folder). Remember, the ability to create VM's requires both Resource access (Cluster, Host, or Resource Pool) and Folder access. Granting at the Data Center level is not always necessary / recommended, and is likely more than the user requires in this instance.

0 Kudos