VMware Communities
TTX
Contributor
Contributor

Software protected by SecuROM won't run on a Fusion virtual machine?

I run VMWare 1.0 (downloading 1.1 right now) with Win XP on a MBP. This combination allows access to Windows-only software (AutoCAD, mostly) and keeps me in the nice OSX environment.

I just purchased Command & Conquer 3 for Windows and installed it on my virtual machine. Everything went smoothly until I attempt to play the game. Upon trying to play, I get an error message: "Please insert the original Command & Conquer disk, not a backup". Just to be clear, my copy is a legal disk, not a copy. After doing some research, I ended up contacting SecuROM (apparently the company that developed the anti-piracy protection for many newer games.) I was told by SecuROM that any software protected by their product will not run on a virtual machine.

Can anyone confirm or disprove that statement?

Also, can anyone recommend a way to run the game on my virtual machine, or do I need to go purchase the mac version instead?

Thanks,

Rob

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mudaltsov
Expert
Expert

You will probably need to find a no-cd patch for the game, which disables the copy protection.

The best website I've seen with such patches is GameCopyWorld.

Note that this is only legal if you have the original disk, not a copy (which you said you do).

TTX
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info... I'll give it a shot this weekend!

0 Kudos