VMware Communities
durian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

File not found: Boot Camp partition.vmdk

So I wanted to tweak my OS X install and ended up deleting my Boot Camp partition (on which XP was installed and also which vmware was using for a VM). Started over with a fresh Boot Camp XP install. But when I went to access it with Fusion, I got the error: File not found: Boot Camp partition.vmdk

Tried uninstalling VMware and deleting all my preferences...no luck.

Anyone have any ideas how I should proceed so I can get Fusion to work again?

iMac 20" Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM Leopard & XP Home

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Follow these steps to rebuild the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine...

Highlight the Boot Camp partition entry in the Virtual Machine Library window and then press the delete key.

Next close Fusion (From the VMware Fusion menu bar not just closing the Virtual Machine Library window)

Next delete the "/Users/$/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp" Folder.

Reboot your Computer.

Start Fusion and the Boot Camp partition entry on the Virtual Machine Library window should reappear, highlight it and click Run.

Note: If Boot Camp partition entry does not appear on the Virtual Machine Library window after a minute or so then close Fusion and reopen Fusion. It should now appear at the bottom of the list.

Next an Authenticate dialog box appears. "VMware Fusion requires that you type your password." Enter your Name and Password then click OK. (This is necessary to unmount the Boot Camp partition for Fusion to have direct access to it.)

Next you should see a Boot Camp partition message stating "VMware Fusion is preparing your Boot Camp partition to run as a virtual machine. This may take a few minutes. This will happen once."

When the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine boots for the first time after this VMware Tools will install/update and reboot the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Follow these steps to rebuild the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine...

Highlight the Boot Camp partition entry in the Virtual Machine Library window and then press the delete key.

Next close Fusion (From the VMware Fusion menu bar not just closing the Virtual Machine Library window)

Next delete the "/Users/$/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp" Folder.

Reboot your Computer.

Start Fusion and the Boot Camp partition entry on the Virtual Machine Library window should reappear, highlight it and click Run.

Note: If Boot Camp partition entry does not appear on the Virtual Machine Library window after a minute or so then close Fusion and reopen Fusion. It should now appear at the bottom of the list.

Next an Authenticate dialog box appears. "VMware Fusion requires that you type your password." Enter your Name and Password then click OK. (This is necessary to unmount the Boot Camp partition for Fusion to have direct access to it.)

Next you should see a Boot Camp partition message stating "VMware Fusion is preparing your Boot Camp partition to run as a virtual machine. This may take a few minutes. This will happen once."

When the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine boots for the first time after this VMware Tools will install/update and reboot the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine.

0 Kudos
durian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the path, WoodyZ. That is exactly what I was missing. Now, I just have to deal with the usual Windows nonsense. Hardly seems worth it. After just a couple of weeks, I am almost completely Macified. Ahhhh............

Mac 20" Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM Leopard & XP Home

0 Kudos